Thread: Any good Crowberry recipes?

Default Any good Crowberry recipes?

The crowberries are ripe and ready at Arctic Valley! I've been picking them but I need a few recipes. Any ideas?

I believe they are best cooked, and have heard they are very good in cakes, sweet breads and pancakes for a start. Add pectin and make jam, jelly or syrup. Once recipe I would like to try is making crowberry liqueur or schnapps. Traditionally they are added to pemmican. I donít have a great crowberry patch in my area so havenít really tried these first hand, but hope it helps.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

My wife, the kids, and I picked a gallon zip-lock bursting full of crowberries / mossberries at Arctic Valley this past Saturday. They were everywhere! As were the other people -- but they seemed to be largely focused on the bog blueberries and seemed to ignore the mossberries (it was a fun atmosphere, though, with lots of kids and families enjoying beautiful weather and time outdoors. That's what berry season's all about, anyway, right?!!!).

But back to the mossberries. I made several batches of jelly with mine (http://chef2chef.net/news/club/vol3/...ub-III-097.htm) and it turned out delicious! The berries don't taste like much straight off the plant, but as a jelly -- mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Look forward to hearing other ideas!

Enjoy!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Default is there a place that sells crowberries?

I spent half of my young life on the island of Adak in the Aleutians, waaaay back in the 70's. We ate what we called tundraberries, which I learned several years ago are actually crowberries. Several of us here in Washington State have been craving them......... does anyone know of a place in Alaska that sells and ships them?

Quote Originally Posted by trochilids View Post
    My wife, the kids, and I picked a gallon zip-lock bursting full of crowberries / mossberries at Arctic Valley this past Saturday. They were everywhere! As were the other people -- but they seemed to be largely focused on the bog blueberries and seemed to ignore the mossberries (it was a fun atmosphere, though, with lots of kids and families enjoying beautiful weather and time outdoors. That's what berry season's all about, anyway, right?!!!).

But back to the mossberries. I made several batches of jelly with mine (http://chef2chef.net/news/club/vol3/...ub-III-097.htm) and it turned out delicious! The berries don't taste like much straight off the plant, but as a jelly -- mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Look forward to hearing other ideas!

Enjoy!

I've made a cobler out if them. Made a slurry of the cooked berries, cornstarch, sugar and a little cinnamon. Topped with the batter. It turned out better than I expected.