Thread: Kalgin Island

Default Kalgin Island

I know there have been threads on this Island before, but I have a new question. First, I have not been there. Second, this will be my first fall moose hunting on the Kenai Pen. and I would like to get a moose. Part of the problem with living here is that everyone from Anchorage comes down and it can be literally bumper to bumper on places like Mystery Creek Road or Marathon Road, where I have told the moose are. Since I generally hate people I would like to go somewhere where they aren't. Just seems more "Alaskan" that way. So my question is this: if I were to boat over to Kalgin from Kenai and tie up, could I take a zodiac up the creek that appears on the map to the lake? I would think the moose would be around the lake. Is the creek big enough to boat up? Or is the whole island just bushwhacking? Would it be worth it to take a chainsaw? But then that might not be appreciated I suppose. Since everything on the forum is negative about this hunt, is there anything positive to say about it?

Default LOL

Not likely a good way to ask "people" for help by stating how much you generally hate "people." Just giving you a hard time and a free bump.

Folks he is generally cranky, but far better fella than he paints himself to be--even considering the Canadian aspect. I too would enjoy hearing more specifics about the layout of Kalgin having never been there.

Will

WildWill when you are hunting with me this fall and all we see is people, where there should be moose or bear, let's see if you don't "hate people" too. The fact is, this part of Alaska is **** crowded. I don't mind working for a hunt if it means I don't have to be bumper to bumper with other hunters. No offense meant but to me hunting isn't the same when you see people everywhere.

Question Kalgin

A fella that I used to work with would take his 20' Achilles over there in Sept. from Kenai. He's been all around that island and says that the moose are few in numbers and definately NOT around the lake with lodge on it. He says that if you go to a far side (South end area) of the island, take enough rope, scale your entire camp up the big bluffs, and pick an area, then usually a guy does alright there. He's come back empty handed a few times. But the worst part of the hunt was getting there and back. He's been rescued once by the USCG and followed by the USCG helicopter another time just to make sure he got back to the Kenai docks, he didn't. He made the beach instead. It's REALLY rough water when it wants to be. He's pretty good at what he's doing and he swears that if it weren't for that inflatable, he'd a been dead a couple of times. But he's like you, he hates people too, eh..

Good luck if you go...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    ...the moose are few in numbers and definately NOT around the lake with lodge on it. He says that if you go to a far side (South end area) of the island, take enough rope, scale your entire camp up the big bluffs, ... the worst part of the hunt was getting there and back. He's been rescued once by the USCG and followed by the USCG helicopter another time just to make sure he got back to the Kenai docks, he didn't. He made the beach instead. It's REALLY rough water when it wants to be...

Say it again, only louder this time

Add:
    There are several old codgers that hunt there and consider it their island. They make it difficult on anyone that shows up.
    IIRC, a hunter (not a part of their group) was "accidently" shot and killed as he sat under a tree. I don't think a shooter was ever found.

Cool Flac Vest & Land mines

Sounds like a guy might want to take a little light armorment, like say a Sherman tank.

Have fun island hopping..........Bigmnt

Gosh and I wonder why I hate people being around? How nice. So where the hell does one hunt on the Kenai Peninsula with a reasonable chance of sucess where I won't get shot by somone who thinks it is their land?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post

Say it again, only louder this time

Add:
    There are several old codgers that hunt there and consider it their island. They make it difficult on anyone that shows up.
    IIRC, a hunter (not a part of their group) was "accidently" shot and killed as he sat under a tree. I don't think a shooter was ever found.
    Not really sure where you're going with this particular comment, but I can assure you that the individual(s) that I know who have done this hunt in the past, #1) have never ran into anyone; #2) aren't that old, maybe mid 40's at best; and 3) are good people with familiy's, jobs, etc.. Is that loud enough, should I speak up or am I missing your point here?

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Not really sure where you're going with this particular comment, but I can assure you that the individual(s) that I know who have done this hunt in the past, #1) have never ran into anyone; #2) aren't that old, maybe mid 40's at best; and 3) are good people with familiy's, jobs, etc.. Is that loud enough, should I speak up or am I missing your point here?
    I think you ARE missing my point.

There are several guys.

They have hunted together for years.

They love to hunt Kalgin Island and do not like it when others hunt there.

They have some political pull because the limit was one moose (either sex) for many years, even after everyone else went to the spike/fork/50in/brow tine requirement.

I don't know whether any of your friends are involved in this group, whether they are young or old. And just because you know someone who hunted there and didn't experience a run-in doesn't mean they don't exist.

I looked at Kalgin Island on several occassions. It is a rough island. Hard to access and hard to hunt.
    I have several friends that have hunted there and they all seem to be in agreement, if you are investing time and money in a moose hunt go where the moose are accessible and the hunting is "safer".

About Kenai... I took 9 moose in 10 years. Hunting from the house. All with a bow, except 2. One year I didn't get to hunt.

Three years ago I came to the realization the K-Pen had been invaded. There were people everywhere! I mean everywhere! Even my secret places. Roads have shown up where there used to be only faint trails. The native corps have put roads everywhere for logging. I have met several members of the native corp that feel if they catch a non-member hunting on their land they are allowed to shoot them.

I think I am probably more cranky than btadams on this, I hate crowds!!!

So I quite moose hunting around here. I just wasn't fun anymore.

Go to this website;
    http://www.borough.kenai.ak.us/gisde...disclaimer.htm
    Go to "Parcel Viewer" and look around. Use the identifier function to find the owner of any property. It is scary!

If you look up the regulations for the K-Pen I think you will find the special interest groups pretty much have control. The horse hunters have their laws, the flying services have their laws, the anti-hunters have their laws, the native groups have their laws, etc., etc.
    (Examples, you ask? Wheeled vehicle ban. Horses are OK on certain roads but not bicycles. Fly-in forbidden during certain periods on the K-Pen. If you want to fly in you will have to go further than that = mo money. Roads closed. Areas closed - Skilak, etc., etc., etc., etc...)

Part of my problem is, I have been here too long. I have seen it change (for the worse).

I suppose I should "talk up" Kalgin Island. If everyone else would go there to hunt, btadams and I would have the K-pen to ourselves.
    But a fellow hunter asked for advice so I'm giving it.

It cost money to hunt in Alaska. You will pay for the privilege. One way or the other.
    You can choose to live remote, buy a jet boat, buy a 4-wheeler, buy an airplane, hire an air taxi, buy remote land then build a cabin, but you will pay for it.

This ain't like deer hunting in much of the lower-48 where you can walk out the back door or take a short drive each evening after work and have a chance of popping a deer.

Sigh. All I can say Bustedknee is "sigh". To be honest if I had known how crowded the Kenai Peninsula is, I would NOT have moved here. Those hundreds of thousands of people who live in Anchorage all play here. I guess they have equal (or more) rights than I do, so I can't be too upset but it really sucks to scout out an area and then when you want to use it see people EVERYWHERE!!! To be honest, if the wife would let me I have thought about moving to someplace less like a zoo. I'll guess I'll just have to see what I can do.

Thumbs up

Point taken, "correctly" this time... Thanks for clarifying...
    Of the people that I know who have hunted there (Kalgin), I believe that they are/were unaware of these "individuals" that you mention and are NOT part of the problem. I wouldn't doubt that there is "a problem" over there, myself and my friends are just unaware of it. If it's politically motivated or whatever, I really wouldn't be surprised there either.
    I too agree that what was once a good area or your own little "secret" spot just a short few years ago, is now a parking lot and/or crowded. Good spots are definately getting harder and harder to find.

Sounds like you guys need to leave the Kenai Penn.

In addition to the hunting pressure from the number of folks who live or travel to the K penn to hunt, is the depressed moose heard. There have been no major fires in the past 30 odd years, and hence the browse has all grown out of range of the moose.

Sadly there just aren't enough moose state wide for all the folks that would like to put one in the freezer each year.

Well 80,000 acres burned at Caribou Hills this summer. That might help. Don't get me wrong: I would like to get a moose but I value the experience of hunting just as much. Except when it looks like I am in shopping mall parking lot. If all else goes wrong, I'll try and get a road kill moose anyways. Where can I go and still make a living and not get divorced because it is too remote? That is why I had such high hopes for Kalgin Island.

If you want to work for it, I recall Alaskacanoe (Max) posting that only the first 2-3 lakes in the Swanson system get any kind of hunting pressure. The farther you get from easy access the less people you'll see. But we all know that!

I totally understand the dilemna. That's why I don't fish the Kenai River. It's the reality check folks get when they move to AK. Yes, there is great hunting and fishing, but it takes alot of time and $ to get to it. Unless you're independently wealthy or take a vow of poverty, you'll have to make some compromises.

If you can drive to it, and or drive and 4 wheeler to it, you'll have company. So that leaves flying in, long boat trips or hiking in. Just remember with moose, however many feet you hike in, multiply by 10 and add 100#'s on your back for the pack out.

To me Kodiak would be the dream location of not totally remote, a great community, and amazing fishing and hunting. Unfortunately I'm limited to Anchortown for work, so have to compromise on what I have the time and $ to hunt.

Even if I've yet to take a moose, it beats the heck out of living on the lower 48.