Thread: Slow fishing for silvers in southeast alaska

Default Slow fishing for silvers in southeast alaska

I care a lot about my father. He has been a commercial fisherman and sport fisherman all of his life. Me. Well...i only know tid bits. I asked him about how the silver salmon fishing is in southeast alaska. he said its slow because a lot of folks are catching sharks. and the salmon don't want to get eaten so they wait till it cools down before running.

in southcentral alaska. our rivers have been a little subpar and some runs just plain late. i often wonder if there are sharks here that are scaring our salmon off? or something else.

Default Not slow here...

Maybe today will prove different now that I'm saying something, but Juneau has been having a regular silver season... Few, if any, sharks are being caught nearby, and I'm pulling limits of coho whenever we're out (well, except for that one whale watching trip....)

Where does your dad fish? Perhaps I can come take a few of the sharks off of his hands? ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's getting better every day around Ketchikan. We had a nice shot of summer run Silvers earlier, and the fall run is starting to move in. Charter guys are pulling limits for 4-6 people on full day trips. Not too shabby for August. Ask again mid-Sept. for the best report............

The northern SE silvers are showing up on the coast now. Cross Sound is loaded and everything from Pelican to Pt. Adolphus is going nuts. The limits of halibut and yelloweye aren't too hard to reach, but 6 silvers per person on the boat is a number of fish I've not seen in years...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]