Thread: Advice on Deep Fryers

Arrow Advice on Deep Fryers

Got a bunch of halibut, but never cooked any before. It may not be the healthiest way to prepare this stuff, but I'm a big fan of fish and chips.

Folks tell me that I should invest a deep fryer, so I can store it with the oil inside and reuse each time.

I have no clue about what features to look for in one of these things. Would appreciate some recommendations on a reasonably priced deep fryer.

Default Deep fryers

I have two fryers,a 20$ fry Dadddy from walmart, and one fancy 90$ dollar fryer.The Fry Daddy gets way more use than the fancy one.You can keep the oil in the container and store it in the fridge.I have tried several fryers and none really seem to get hot enough to do a good beer batter.My favorite coating for halibut anymore is to add one egg and some fresh lemon juice and whatever seasoning you like on your fish,then grind up some saltine crackers to a coffee ground consistency.Roll your fish in the crumbs,drop in the fryer keep an eye on it it cooks very quickly,re-season just a bit when comes out.
    Halibut cooked this way absorbs very little oil and is always very crunchy on the outside and nice n moist in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by fulldraw View Post
    I have tried several fryers and none really seem to get hot enough to do a good beer batter.
    Many thanks for the response. Sounds like the Fry Daddy is the best of the bunch -- just not hot enough for cooking beer battered halibut. For that stuff, guess I'll have to try a pot of oil on the stove top or a cajun (turkey) cooker instead.

Appreciate the recipe as well. Will have to give it a try.

Talking Dip' 'em Egg/flour batter then...

coat it with flower mix or corn starch, you'll get yourself a good "Extra Crispy(TM)" coating on it... That's what I do with mine, but can never fit 11 'erbs & spices...

This is the recipe I use for deep frying most everything. Came from my chinese cook book
    1/2 cup flour--1/2 cup water--3Tbls cornstarch--1 Tbls veg. oil--1/2 tsp baking soda--1/2 tsp salt. I usually add a little more water for a thinner batter. I cut the Halibut into 1 1/2 inch squares. I also use a fry daddy. Don't over-crowd and it should stay hot. This recipe is great for onion rings also.

I use a turkey fryer myself. I just cooked up about 25 pounds of halibut at work this week for my fellow employees as I had some good success at Valdez with a couple of large halibut. They all brought in a dish such as a relish tray, dessert or salads to go along with the halibut

I don't like a lot of thick breading on my fried fish so I use a very simple recipe. I put some buttermilk pancake flour dry into a plastic bag. I then add a good pinch of salt, a good slug of black pepper and a modest amount of herb and garlic powder. Shake the halibut around until it is all dusted with the dry ingredients and drop them into the fryer in the provided basket when the oil is 350 degrees. About 3 minutes and out they come to dump the halibut chunks onto paper towels or newspaper to drain off the small amount of oil that is still on the fish. My fellow employees raved about the fish so I guess it must have been pretty fair.

You don't need a 'special' fryer for frying fish. Just use a cast iron dutch oven. The cast iron helps to retain heat and keep the oil heat even. Don't drop in too much fish as this will drop the oil temperature and you'll have oily fish. Keep a thermometer in your oil to help you regulate the temperature. This works for me. I've tried a bunch of fryers and came back to the dutch oven. Simple and it works great. And you don't have another piece of specialized kitchen gear to store. Plus, with a good camp stove, you can cook the fish outside and keep the fried fish smell from stinking up the house.

I'd recommend a dutch oven as well. You can use it for more then just frying and I really wouldn't recommend saving the grease in anything that isn't air tight. I used to keep mine in an old coffee can with a tight fitting lid.
    Chris Willhoite

Dutch oven or deep cast iron skillet is head and shoulders above any electric deep fryer out there, Hot enough for frying halibut the way it is supposed to, and non-stick as well, as long as you don't put the fish in before the oil is up to temperature.
    The deep fryers you will find that handle this type of frying are not cheap. My sister has a tabletop 2 basket commercial grade one that works very well, but she paid over $400.00 for it. One of the electric elements shorted in it recently, and she is still waiting for the company to repair it. It has been there for going on 3 months now...... Guess what she has to use in the interim? A cast iron skillet, with better results. ( I told her she was wasting her money, but you know women when a man tells them anything). My brother-in-law said when it does get returned to them it is going to get "lost".
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Another vote for Dutch Oven

I had a deepfryer, but the Dutch Oven works fine.

I beer batter the fish, then roll it in Panko. Real crisp and tasty.