Thread: Klutina Report 8/12/07

Red face Klutina Report 8/12/07

Well, the reds were there, but you had to put your time in. I stood in one hole and watched them pour through at times...they just were not very aggresive! Funny, I never landed a single one but me and the wife had many hook-ups. My wifes set-up only had 20lb test line, so when they get into that current...well you know what happened then.....SNAP! I on the other hand was using 65lb test with 30 lb test leader. It seemed all my hooksets popped out of their mouth, after a very short fight. I noticed that these fish were mostly pretty blushed to red, some with green heads already, and others with that moldy rot too. A few looked in not too bad of shape. Maybe their mouth flesh was just soft? No matter if I played them soft or tried to muscle them up onto the bank, the hooks (yes were sharp) kept popping out! Just one of those days I guess!! Oh, also had two kings roll out in front of me.... very nice size, and so close, yet so very out of season ;-)

Default Line test?

I have fished Klutina many times and never used anything but mono 20lb test line on conventional gear and 8wt fly line on fly saber. I have lined and landed many sockeye with these just fine?

I have seen many "techniques" for flipping for the sockeye there. Just not convinced of a soft mouth theory.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Talking Me too

Well, I too have caught many reds there too. I'm thinking it was just one of those days...who knows. What I do know is if you can keep a 10-12 pound red on 20 lb test line in the strongest current of the Klutina, you are defeating the laws of physics. Maybe in a some slack water pool, but not in the raging current if they get into it. Eitherway..I was fishing...the weather was great, saw many eagles, some bull moose, and got some great pics of spawning reds at that turn out near the hatchery. Now that is better than ANY day at work!

I believe that hook ups are harder later in the run at least on the Kenai. Also I know that fish starting to show color take less wacking with the fish bonker. Possibly later in the run fish are less agressive and hook ups are not set as good as part of the less aggresive nature of the fish. Just my observations and thoughts. I also snag more fish later in the run.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    What I do know is if you can keep a 10-12 pound red on 20 lb test line in the strongest current of the Klutina, you are defeating the laws of physics.
    Defeating the laws of physics is nothing for a Master Jedi Salmon Slayer. I laugh at the strongest current of the Klutina. Once you complete your training, you will be able to do the same. Search your feelings and May the Force BE with YOU.

TSS

• I wish a moderator would take your picture down , it scares and offends me in one single blow

Default Interesting Reply

Interesting. Fishwhaker, all you have done on this Forum is milk everyone for all the information you can get, and then throw a bomb at someone.
    Interesting. You claim to be a naive 14 year old in your previous threads but yet you seem to switch personalities between kid and man. I for one am starting to read between the lines.
    Last edited by Fisherman Iggy; 08-14-2007 at 22:57. Reason: Reply was not properly directed

Question wowwee

Jedi can you need to teach me on how to balance the humility of spooling your reel at the sake of not snapping your line? It's a lose-lose! If you mean using 100# test braided line for reds, well that's not training, that's ubsurd! When you can lift a car with a strand of spaghetti, give me a call? BTW, Paul Stanley is upset and wants his clothes back!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 08-15-2007 at 13:28. Reason: language

i was joking about the picture, you take things way too seriously

If someone can not line and land a sockeye with 65# braided line with 30 lb leader, they might want to consider using 100# test or maybe reconsider there technique?

I recommend you use no larger than 20# mono, it works just fine for Jedi and their apprentice's alike.

TSS

Default on the river

I still want to see a picture of you out there on the river, flyrod (or other) in hand, or better yet, FISH in hand, dressed up like that. How about it?

Cost of gas to head to river - $40
    New line and gear - $35
    Seeing JediMasterSalmonSlayer in full regalia while fighting a silver - PRICELESS!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    I still want to see a picture of you out there on the river, flyrod (or other) in hand, or better yet, FISH in hand, dressed up like that. How about it?

Cost of gas to head to river - $40
    New line and gear - $35
    Seeing JediMasterSalmonSlayer in full regalia while fighting a silver - PRICELESS!
    I just lined up a boat with a buddy for Salmonfest 07 "Rock N Roll Over" Tour in Valdez...stay tuned...

TSS

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I just lined up a boat with a buddy for Salmonfest 07 "Rock N Roll Over" Tour in Valdez...stay tuned...

TSS
    I am new to the site but would love to see it first hand. I will be in the area from 8/29 - 9/5. Let me know and i will make sure i am there, camera in hand.

Angry Not Cool Mang

Hey Quit High Jacking my thread!!

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

TSS

Default Now jedi

you wouldnt say that to me in person, so don't do it here. Keep it fun, dont be a %#@!

Keep it fun? Come on over this weekend, lets throw some horseshoes in my back yard, thats fun and I can get out of the rest of my yard work.

I promise not to win to many rounds of horseshoes, I am not Intimidated.

TSS

I just fished the Klutina on Tuesday near the campgrounds while on my way to Valdez. Caught reds but...they were turning. Valdez silvers however were a blast.