Thread: How do I clean the used fiberglass boat I just bought, a 20' Olympic

Default How do I clean the used fiberglass boat I just bought, a 20' Olympic

What is the best way to clean my boat. It mostly has brownish stains like a coffee stain in different places on the fiberglass, like at water line and some places on the deck. Also there is some whitish oxidation looking stuff where the hull is painted blue. I appreciate any advice, Robert

If the boat is not painted (it probably is not) buy some good 3m rubbing compound and try to clean the stains up first. Then wax it like you would a car.
    Most fiberglass boats are covered with gel coat. This gives you the advantage to remove stains and scratched by sanding them out with progressive finer grades of sandpaper and rubbing then polishing compounds. Gelcoat can even be applied to damaged areas to make them look new again.
    All it takes is a little patience and the correct sandpaper and rubbing/polishing compounds.
    Tennessee

For stains at the water line, plus some other stains such as from leaves (tanin stains), try Hull Cleaner (I think that's the name) that you can find at West Marine, and sometimes Wal-Mart. Has oxalic acid, I believe, and does a great job. It will discolor a galvanized trailer, so watch that part.

For oxidation, get a good electric buffer and use compound, followed by Finesse It III (or was it II?), followed by a good wax. It can take lots of work to bring back a good shine, but most of the time it can be done.

I believe what you are lookig for is Starbrite hull cleaner. The cheapest place to find it here in Fairbanks is Wally-world. It took a 2 years accumulation of Valdez harbor grunge off a hull I bought a couple of years ago with very little effort. It will discolor a galvanized trailer, but the discolored places will re-oxidize within the course of a season, and match again. If you need to sand to remove permanaent stains, make sure to sand ONLY WET.

buy a box of wood bleach(oxalic acid) in a paint store, it comes in a powder form, mix it in a bucket of water and sponge it on the hull, watch the stains disappear.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up Thanks

I appreciate the advice, I have a lot to learn about boats. I will post after the weekend and let you know what's working on the stains. Hope everyone's having a great fishing season, Thanks Again, Robert