Thread: Floating Little Chena?

Default Floating Little Chena?

Has anyone ever tried canoeing the Little Chena from say CHSR to Nordale? I am looking for some new road accessable floats around Fairbanks and it looks like a pretty good day float from the map. I am already planning on hip waders and having to portage somewhat I just don't want to have to spend the entire time doing it.

Default did it

I did that float about 4 years ago. Its a good day trip, which could easily be a weekend trip if you wanted to take your time. There are many good places to camp and fish along the way. The toughest part is getting your canoe down the bank to the water on CHSR. I did it in a 17' Grumman. With a smaller/lighter canoe, it wouldn't be such a PITA.
    There were several log jams along the way when I did it, but we were able to portage around them with little difficulty. About 1/2 way down (if I remember correctly) there was an old bridge which was partially rotted away. I'm not sure, but it looks like there was a dog mushing trail there.
    We didn't see any other people until we got close to Nordale, when a couple jet boats managed to make it past a couple of the smaller jams downstream.

I was thinking of floating from chena hotsprings rd i'm on my own and was hoping that I could go down and paddle back up for hunting

Default Thanks

Thanks for the update Walk-In. Sounds like a good little float. I drove by both bridges the other day and water level looks good right now but we have had some rain so maybe I'm being optimistic.

Default should be good

I don't know about this year, but when I did it the water was relatively high, and it was fine. Usually, it is a bit shallow where you first put in off of CHSR, so high water can make that part easier. Once you get going, I don't think it makes much difference.
    We did it during moose season...not really expecting to see anything, but prepared just in case. We never did see any moose, although we heard something (probably a moose) run off into the brush as we came around a bend. If I was going to do this as a hunting float, I'd spend at least 3 days doing it. Hunt early and late, fish during the day. It is outside of the management area, so you can use a rifle.

thank you Now I have another choice got shafted by the state for the TII now I'm trying to put something together fast