Thread: Haul Road, just back

Default Haul Road, just back

Just got back last night. 1,089 miles or road.

2 1/2 days spent from Franklin Bluffs up to Purdoe. Saw only 3 small cows.

1 1/2 days spent from Franklin Bluffs south. Saw 1 cow moose and a calf walking a ridgeline.

Absolutely nothing for caribou anywhere. Spent time scanning every advantage point we could find and nothing within 38X of the spotting scope. Did see some Musk Ox and that was it.

Three F&G Troopers, 1 plane, 1 helicopter, 1 road warrior. Road warrior said that he had been up in the plane and the caribou were 30 miles east.

Sorry guys..... report is not good.

Saw 2-3 racks on trucks of guys either flying out or using the airboat.

Went to bed last night and could not sleep as all I could see with my eyes closed was road.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I work on the east side of Greater Pruhoe and we are still seeing a fair number caribou along the coast line particularly these past few very warm days.

Default Just back as well

I just got back today, the only thing we saw from atigun pass to happy valley was a cow and a calf moose walking around by gailbraith lake. North of Happy valley we were seeing a few caribou though. We saw a huge bull but we were in 1 and 1/2 miles to find him. I almost got a really young bull with my car too.

Dave sorry to hear continuing bad news. we head out in 5 days. they are all over here and west of here.
    polar bear seen today up along coast, not by me.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Hint!

Dave, PM sent
    Last edited by 379 Peterbilt; 08-14-2007 at 06:37. Reason: To make a change!!

Default returned

last night, we saw a couple bulls a mile or so out close to Pump 2, lots of hunters. We watched one small bull crossing the road with 6 hunting rigs parked, 8 hunters out and on either side of the road, poor guy was running a gauntlet. we didnt stick around to watch. The Nates are very very very bad, take a head net

To the west, the locals used to have a Taboo against disturbing or hunting the northside of passes until the lead group of bulls had laid down the scent trail. Nothing would stop the main herds from following that scent trail when laid down and nothing would force them thru that pass if the scent trail wasn't laid down. I don't know how it is nowadays with hunting pressure from all sides, but I remember how it was before that pipeline road.

bummer... My brother and I got back saturday night. We pulled to nice bulls out. didn't see anything first two days we were up there and after that They were every where.
    We were up the Ivishak with my 14' jon and 15hp w/lift.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

can someone tell me the distance and time on the road from: Fairbanks to pump station 2 and to mile marker 50?

Default Depending

on road conditions from 10 to 12 hours, with decent weather. Look at stopping for gas at coldfoot, then while up near pump 2 go into deadhorse for fill ups. I take my time...

Default got in this morning

Just got back in this morning, about 3 hours ago. South side of the Brooks has got some pretty beat-up road from the rain. State crews are working them and road should be back to pretty decent shape in a day or two. Saw a grout of 5-6 really nice bulls around PS3. Like the other reports not a lot of animals around Franklin Bluffs yet. For anyone lucky enough to get a griz permit for the corridor, there is a HUGE bruin spotted at Atigun river 1 by the DOT gravel piles just as you come out of the pass.

buddy got one six miles from the road with a rifle, said it was the only one they saw
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.