Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Scope for .338

Default Best Scope for .338

Got a new Ruger MKII and need to scope it. I'd appreciate any experiences or advice from .338 shooters.

Default Leupold Scopes

For hard recoiling rifles it is hard to beat Leupold, the Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 in particular. Durability, light weight, 5" + or - eye relief, full unconditional lifetime warranty, made in U.S.A., and resale value. Of course if you are never going to sell it, don't care if it's imported, don't mind a few cuts above your eye every now and again, and don't mind if it fogs up or won't hold zero then anything else should do just fine.

I have a 2-7 Leupold on mine for the past 15 years; never a complaint. J.

I would vote for the 2.5-8x36 Leupold VX-III. I have had 2 of them and will be buying another here shortly.Very good scope,probably the clearest (atleast I think) of all the Leupold's.Hope this helps.

Tim

Default which scope?

Leupold - takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

1. 2.5 x 8 would be my first choice
    2. 1.75 x 6 would be my second choice
    3. 1.5 x 5 would be my third choice

Final decision would be dictated by anticipated use/range of shots. 1. prob covers the greatest spectrum, 2. is reported to be one of the most recoil resistant and covers the middle ground - my son used this scope on a 7mm Dakota to one shot kill his last sheep at a lasered 400 yd 3. more for closer range but would not hesitate to use out to 250 - 300 yds. Good luck.

Talking Burris

I have a Ruger M77 stainless 338 that wears a Burris 3-9X50.
    It is absolutely waterproof....and survived a drop onto concrete during my last range trip....oops.

Thumbs up 1.5x5 Leupold

I'm a big fan of the 1.5x5 Leupy...and own 4 of them. It suits all my Alaskan needs. They are light, bright and tough. I don't need more than 5X. I have them on a 30/06, 338Win, 330Dakota and 375H&H. Have tried numerous other scopes up to and including a Swarovski 3x10-42. Always returned to 1.5x5 Leupy....probably always will.

I went with a Kahles 2 X 7 X 36. It also has a circle plex reticle, which has very fine cross hair along with a circle for fast acquisition of the target. This is on my 340 Weatherby. Very clear.

Smile Way out of order...

Shphtr has his scopes way out of order. For the 338 I would put the 1.75-6x32 first unless it was more of an in the alders kind of handy rifle and then would opt for the 1.5-5x20 with a no. 4 reticle. The 2.5-8x36 should only be used when shots will be taken beyond 319 yards on small animals like sheep.

Any of those Leupold scopes are top notch. I also have to add a good word for the Kahles 2-7x36. I have a couple of these and they are very bright, very rugged with excellent adjustments. A one inch tube but still a little more bulky than the Leupolds above, super optics.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I put a Leupold 1.75X6 with the heavy cross hairs on my Winchester M70 .338 It has held up very well for me. I've never done any bear hunting...but at 1.75 I can find things fast enough and at 6 I can see well enough to shoot as far as I'm willing to. I like the larger lense on the 1.75. It may not pull in more light...but I think it does.

I mounted a 2.5X8 on a .270 and it worked out great, but I wanted the lower power (bigger field) for the .338

You want ample eye relief from the scope mounted on a .338WM. The one I have on my .338WM is a matte Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x. It has been on my rifle for over twelve years, and not a single problem with it except for a few very small dents I have put on the tube. I carry the rifle with the scope set at 2.5X, and crank it up to 6x or so when taking shots over 200 yards, although I set it to 8x at the range when testing loads.

Thumbs up Leupold 3.5x10

I put a Leupold 3.5x10 with the BC reticle on my 338 Win
    Alaska

Default Bushnell Elite

Although I've always used Leupolds with no complaint, I opted to put a Bushnell Elite 1.5-6x on my MkII in .338. I like the scope and the setup, have shot game at 100 and 225 yards with no problems. Plenty of eye relief, no no shiners...

Michael

Default 338 Scope

Another vote, like Murph's, for the 1.75X6 Leupold.

I've owned and used both...to my eye, the 32mm objective outclasses the 20mm in low light conditions.

Wish they made this in a 40, but the current production is world class.Just get used to seeing some barrel on very low settings...a bit distracting initially.

When I was a kid I was always told what you pay for your gun is what you should pay for your optics.

I dont always belive, that however your gun is only as good as its optics.

I love Leupold, I have a VXL 3-9x50 for my .300 and love it beacuse it mounts low to the reciever and gives you the increased field of view. Its a little pricy but worth it. Best of luck!

I use a Leupold Fixed 4X. Doesnt seem like I need more than that, as I rarely take shots longer than 150 yards. Even then, it is more than adequate for 20 yards or 200 yards.

Default scope

Either the 2.5 x 8 or 1.75 x 6 Leupold. I have used them both. I also have a 1.5 x 5 with the German #4. Good stuff. Most of my shots are under 150 yards and the 2.5 x 8 scope was left on 2.5 power for most of the shots.

On my old win 70 in 338 win
    I have a Unertl 6x Condor in Weaver rings

On my new 338 win a Leupold 3.5x 10
    warne tactical base and Warne QR Lever Rings
    Alaska

NOT sure which 338 you have (338 WM or the 338RCM) I've got both. The 338 WM has a 1.75x5x20 Burris the 338 RCM has a 1.75x6 Leupold these provide ample magnification and minimal weight increases. Both have an extended eye relief and are crystal clear, and on low power will focus on a target that's on the end of the barrel and not just give you a picture of a brown patch of fur. IF you plan to use the scope on dangerous game in the brush/alders pick a scope with a heavier cross hairs that are easy to pick-up fast, as your target will be at 10-40 yards.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by barko View Post
    I went with a Kahles 2 X 7 X 36. It also has a circle plex reticle, which has very fine cross hair along with a circle for fast acquisition of the target. This is on my 340 Weatherby. Very clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    ...I also have to add a good word for the Kahles 2-7x36. I have a couple of these and they are very bright, very rugged with excellent adjustments. A one inch tube but still a little more bulky than the Leupolds above, super optics.
    +1 All my rifles including my .338 wear Kahles scopes. Most are fixed 4x, all have 4A reticles. Great scopes.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast