Thread: how much insulation?

Default how much insulation?

I've been reading about hunting boots and doing quite a bit of searches. Looks like Lowa's are the boot of choice for most people. What is the recommended amount of insulation for Alaskan hunting boots?

I would say that depends on when and where you are hunting and how warm you like to keep your feet. Also, what will you be doing in them. If you are going to be doing a lot of walking and staying warm you have to consider that. I use the Lowa GTX Extreme (or something like that). They call them the "Sheep Hunter". Great boots. They are super comfortable, seemed to break in almost immediately, and are fairly light.

I bought them at AMH in Anchorage and the people there were VERY helpful and knowledgable about all of their outdoor gear. Way better than someplace like REI anyway.

The boots I use for cariboou hunting and that part of the year have 200 grams of thinsulate and seems to work well. My feet are comfortable.

What is AMH?

AMH is Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking. If you're in Anchorage, I would look at AMH and Barney's for boots.

As for insulation, I suggest zero. My feet generate plenty of heat when I'm walking, and if it's close to freezing I'll just wear a little bit thicker SmartWools (my sock of choice). Of course I have some winter boots for hunting in the snow, but for a hunting boot I don't have any insulation.

I've pretty much decided on a pair of Lowa Sheep Hunters. would anyone recommend a 2nd pair of boots. What would you recommend or are the Sheep Hunters enough?

If you can prematurely wear out a pair of Lowa's then in the immortal words of John Winger..."I wanna party(or hunt) with you cowboy!"

Just added them to my christmas wish list, I too have been looking and I think these are definatly the ones. I wonder if they will let me take them to Iraq next time we go?

Default I doubt they'll mind!

Quote Originally Posted by garrison1012 View Post
    Just added them to my christmas wish list, I too have been looking and I think these are definatly the ones. I wonder if they will let me take them to Iraq next time we go?
    Garrison, I doubt they'll mind as they have allowed us to wear for the most part what we wish. However, you'd be wasting a good pair of boots on some sorry *** soil! I'd keep them for the return trip!

yeah, but i hated It when poo water soked into my boots last time, and washing blood off was horrible. But any whoo, I am getting them the wife has no choice!

Default Hurry!

If you hurry you can get a wicked good deal at this website. http://www.shoebuy.com/lowa-hunter-g.../138840/321059
    I bought mine this year from here and used the free shipping. It was UPS ground but they showed up in 7 days to Fairbanks. Punch in this code, LABORDAY07, for an additional 20% off. If you register at checkout I think you get another 10-20% off. I absolutely love my Lowas they were awesome sheep hunting this year. Break in quick and painlessly. Good luck

Default Rephrased question

I guess I should have asked it another way. Are the Lowa's a good all around boot or are they more a specialty boot for sheep hunting? I've had problems with my feet and shins and I want to get the best I can. Lowas seem to be the way to go.

They are great for hiking and climbing. I dont like to drive in them though since they have so much ankle support they are a little stiff to drive in. I love mine so far. I'm taking them moose/ griz hunting in a few weeks.

Default check out russel moccasins

For not much more money you can have a pair of boots custom made at russel moccasins. Don't let the name fool you, they make fine mountain boots that are extremely rugged & durable. I've been wearing the same pair now for 4 years, logging a sheep hunt and a goat hunt each year along with numerous woodland hunts. The beauty of the whole thing is that you get two boots that actually fit your feet. Check them out, you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    ... Looks like Lowa's are the boot of choice for most people. ...
    Never heard of 'em.

Round here? Wolverine, Russells, even Danner...

Insulation is a personal selection. Do your feet sweat, chill easily? Do you like one pair of socks or two? Do you walk a lot or like to sit or stand?
    Waterproof or non-waterproof?
    Strictly sheep hunt (climbing)?
    Bird hunt the low lands?

I prefer Wolverine Durashoks. Ankle height. If I lace past my ankle my bum knee suffers since it has to do all the flexing.

I stay away from the waterproof models because I have never found waterproof boots that lasted past the first season, at any price. I go with waterproof socks instead, and carry an extra pair.

I buy my boots a half size larger then add socks for warmth. 1 thick pair or 2 thin pairs, depending on the weather.