Thread: How 'bout them blacktails?

Default How 'bout them blacktails?

I'll be leaving to go back to work in Cordova for 2 weeks and will be spending a few extra days deer hunting on Hawkins Island. Just curious to hear any experiences around there since I have not hunted Alaska before, since this is the first season where I will not be out to sea since I moved here. I will be dropped off on the morning of the 28th and picked up the evening of the 31st.
    Would Hitchenbrook Island be a better choicethan Hawkins Island? Are there black bears on the islands as well for me to chase or just brownies to chase me?
    I feel confident that the gear I have is not overbearing yet comfortable for a 4 day on my own hunt from reading past posts. From my talking to people in Cordova, nobody has really hunted them this early, mostly in the colder months when the deer are on the beaches.
    Anyway, mostly looking forward to hearing some success stories to get the blood really flowing and to get some confidence.
    Thank you and good luck to everyone this season.

Default Islands

I hunted Hitch last spring. There were deer everywhere, no blackies that I know of and yes there is many brown bears. Hitch has some nice cabins as well and the silvers should be thick as well.

Good Luck

Steve

Default ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo2382 View Post
    From my talking to people in Cordova, nobody has really hunted them this early, mostly in the colder months when the deer are on the beaches.
    Don't know who you've been talking to, but Hawkins gets hit pretty hard in the early season. Quite a few deer taken already, including a 14 year old hunter who took his first two bucks the same day hunting with his older cousin. It's an easy day hunt from Cordova. On opening day there were at least 10 boats anchored in the 5 mile stretch I went down the island and that was just on one side of the island. The weather has been good so lots of people have been going out. You're more likely to hit a spot that hasn't been hunted yet on Hinchinbrook, unless you go near one of the cabins.

You're also more likely to run into a bear of the brown variety on Hinchinbrook, but don't be thinking there are no bears on Hawkins. Two years ago there were quite a few serious run ins on Hawkins. While there are occasional reports of black bears on those two islands, I've never seen one anyone has shot. I don't think the brownies let 'em live long if they get there. But if you want to try to get a blacky, try Simpson Bay, which is usually infested with Black Bears.

There are for sure coyotes on Hinchinbrook, and there were rumors of a wolf on Hawkins last year. A local trapper claims to have seen wolf stool there last week when he was deer hunting.

Best advise is "Go High" and stay away from salmon streams no matter which island you choose.

Default right on! thanks

Thank you guys for the info. Greatly appreciate it. I think most likely I'll be going as high as I can on the Northeast side of Hawkins. Time to go to work tomorrow on the Chenega, Man I can't wait to hit the field. I 'll post pictures and a report when I get back. Laters.