Thread: East fork of Moose River? / Dolly Varden lake

Default East fork of Moose River? / Dolly Varden lake

Has anyone tried to canoe down the east fork of the Moose River? My Dad and I have canoed across the lakes and down the Moose to Sterling in the past, but we are curious if it is possible to put in near the highway and travel down the East fork and continue to Sterling. It looks like the river may be overgrown with alders and other brush.

Thanks for any info.

Scott

P.S. The entire family just got back from camping out at the cabin on Dolly Varden lake. Had a blast. It was so warm the kids (5 & 3) went swimming with their mother and grandma. Great trip.

Default Moose

long tine a go ,lots of rocks not much water [25 years ago ]
    sid

I've gotten to the start of the E fork where Afonasi Lake feeds it. Definately shallow rocky water where it starts, and you'd have to be clearing your way as you went.

Default free canoe?

we had a couple of young men that came by to rent a canoe from us for the moose river trip.
    We later found out that they had just came back from the wildlife refuge building on Ski Hill in soldotna and had talked to the kind folks up there about the trip. east moose to main Moose river out at Moose river bridge,,,
    they were told friom the helpful experts at the refuge, that it was an easy half day trip.
    These guys told us they were paddling the Moose river, so we supposed they were just paddling up several miles and back down the main river...
    They did not show up that night, and so we got a little concerned.
    We got a cell phone call (up river a ways) from some folks that had paddled the west entrance of the Swan lakes to Moose river. These guys were now with them, they had abondoned their canoe somewhere back up the east river, and walked and swam to the Main Moose river, the mosquitos were so bad they covered themselves in mud, they had run out of drinking water and refused to drink the stream water. They were deydrated and hungry...
    the folks that picked them up on the Moose river that next day said they looked like they had had a really rough time...they said they were actually scared of them for a minute or so.. It was just so unexpected to see a couple of guys yelling for help, all covered in mud...lol
    They left the canoe somewhere up on the East river and ended up having to pay us for it,, they never went back to get it as far as I know..
    so if you do the trip,, you may find a canoe along the route.
    Max
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 08-20-2007 at 21:28. Reason: extra stuff
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default yes, but...

I did this once about 3 years ago, won't do it again. I went solo in September, very light (one rucksack) and there was quite a bit more water than is presently in the streams around here. There were lots of deadfall across the stream - lots of portaging on difficult logs/ rocks, often with deep water when I made numerous missteps between logs. It hurt, it took 2 days, lots of bear activity about 1/2 a mile before you get to the moose river - lots of silvers spawning in that area.

Did see a lynx successfully fishing and catching a silver - it was a one of those memorable outdoor moments as it was less than 50' away and it never saw me.

It certainly can be done, but I can't recommend it

Had a fiend that went with another guy & moose hunted it last year. Said it was a lot of work. Wore waders & walked while pulling the canoe as much as he paddled. No moose.....
    Another friend that did it with his wife about 15 yrs ago (a very adventuresom lady that always sheep, moose, & bear hunts with him). He said halfway down she sat down on the bank & said I'm not going any further. He told her that was up to her & he kept dragging the canoe over the grass on a shortcut between some s curves. Said he figured she'd catch up shortly which she did .....
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

This is not a fun trip. I made the mistake of doing a Spring bear hunt by this route and then up to Moosehorn Lake when we hit the main Moose river. Sheer torture! Not only shallow for long stretches, but footing was treacherous with slippery knee twisting rocks. Going up the narrow twisty creek coming out of Moosehorn was no picnic either. We saw no bears but had a blast catching plenty of 16 to 20 inch rainbows in the lake. I'll never take that route again.
    "It's usually not a good sign when your toes turn black and fall off."