Thread: Black bear

Default Black bear

When is the best time to hunt black bear in the fall kenai penn.

Next week I hope!

Wondering this myself!
    I was also wondering if anyone knows of any good area's (general, don't want to take anyone spot, just a place to get started at) to day hunt for blackies?
    Schools starting soon so I have to do the weekend thing again

Jon

Hike Resurrection trail from Hope side in; glass as you go and get the one that you like best. Another good area is Johnson Trail same situation...

I was hiking up at Ptarmigan Lake this past weekend and the Forest Service was turning people away due to an aggressive bear on the trail near the lake. Their were huge piles of scat all along the trail to the lake so there are lots of bears out now. Someone was shooting a lot along the lake but I never saw them. The hillsides are covered with berries and glassing in the early morning or evening would be a good bet anywhere there are hillsides of berries on the peninsula. All trails and lakes on the Kenai have black bears along them but its really thick right now and their are a lot of hikers to keep them off the trails. Later in the Fall the leaves and grass starts to drop and you can see better and there are not so many hikers. If you want to do hikers a favor clear one of the large blackies off the Lost Lake trail as they have lost their fear of people in my experience! Hunt near treeline.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear