Thread: Need Help with Clothing

Default Need Help with Clothing

I am planning a trip to Alaska to go Moose hunting. I will be going the second week of September and dont have a clue of what type of clothing to take. I would greatly appreciate any recomendations from base layers to rain gear.

Thanks

Smile Welcome!

Colorado-Welcome to the forums! You have come to a great place to find a wealth of information. Your best bet for hours of reading pleasure on this subject is to do a search, shich is an option right at the top of your screen.

To get you started, leave the cotton at home! Very important! There isn't a single stitch of cotton in my hunting wardrob anywhere, right down to my skivies. I start with a synthetic blend endergarment, followed by fleece, followed by windstopper fleece, followed by raingear. Those are considering extreme cold conditions, but any combination of those articles is good. Helly Hansen or Marmot raingear seem to be the most regularly used, there is a ton of discussion about that too if you just do a search.

Other folks will have much better input than me, but you have my 2 cents and a good place to start!

-Buck

Default Thanks Buck

Buck,

Here is what I am thinking and please let me know if you or anyone out there disagrees with me.

Base Layer: Under Armour Cold Gear
    Insulating Layer: North Face bionic thermal jacket
    Vest: Sleeping Indian Sheep Mountain vest
    Out Layer: North face Gortex shell.
    Pants: ????

Or would the Cabelas Outfitters Wool Dry Plus series be better?

What is your recommendation on Insulation for boots?

Welcome, ColoradoHunter!
    There are many of us here on the forum.

Not too much is different here than from Colorado.
    It's a dry climate with extreme weather temperature changes. There is very little humidity.
    If you have hunted around the Kremling area, it's almost like the same terrain in some parts of Alaska. If you want a 14er that is like the terrain here... hm... probably Pyramid Peak or Snowmass... or Castle Peak. It's far more rugged up here than down there. You'll see.

About gear...
    The only things I really changed from there to here have been wool socks, more non-cotton items, and a one more JetBoil system. (I want to have my hot coffee with my hot meal to stay warm). Cool down is quicker here, too... so be prepared sleep wise with a good mat and a good sleeping bag, too.

Oh... and you could leave your oxygen tank at home.
    (I left mine there when I moved!!!)
    You could breathe better here because there is less smog. <-- and less people
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Colorado-Welcome to the forums! You have come to a great place to find a wealth of information. Your best bet for hours of reading pleasure on this subject is to do a search, shich is an option right at the top of your screen.

To get you started, leave the cotton at home! Very important! There isn't a single stitch of cotton in my hunting wardrob anywhere, right down to my skivies. I start with a synthetic blend endergarment, followed by fleece, followed by windstopper fleece, followed by raingear. Those are considering extreme cold conditions, but any combination of those articles is good. Helly Hansen or Marmot raingear seem to be the most regularly used, there is a ton of discussion about that too if you just do a search.

Other folks will have much better input than me, but you have my 2 cents and a good place to start!
    -Buck
    Very good advise.

I make sure that the rain gear is roomy, as well as each following layer to allow for the next layers to fit comfortably. Also, water-proof boots are very important if hunting in the interior. Again, roomy enough not to constrict blood flow to the feet, and just in case one has to wear a thick pair of synthetic/wool-bland pair of socks. I usually have uninsulated and insulated boots, because where I hunt sometimes it often gets around 65 degrees during the day, and then drop to 30 degrees during the night.

Some of the gear I have with me:
    -Warm synthetic gloves
    -Thin synthetic gloves
    -Military type cap with a short brim (for warm days)
    -Synthetic/wind stopping stocking caps (for cold days or nights)
    -Helly Hansen or similar rain gear
    -Wind stopper fleece jacket
    -Synthetic thermal underwear tops and bottoms
    -Synthetic/wool blend socks
    -Water proof boots, insulated and non

Default outer layer

your outer layer---rain gear MUST be helley hansen or something similiar---i had top of the line cabelas gore tex last fall on a brown bear hunt and let me tell you ,gore tex is not suitable as an outer layer in the alaska bush---ended up borrowing/using an old fashioned poncho from one of the guides--another guy in camp had similiar gear and was punching holes in big garbage bags----lots of good info on this site---good luck

Default Helly Hansen?

Where is a good place to purchase Helly Hanson and what model or type does everyone recommend?

use the search function and type "helly"; everything you need is there (order forms, what not). There's alot of people who think "breathable" (including goretex) = "wet in a downpour". I'm one of them. Breathables do seem to work in some amounts of rain.

I always bring a durable non-breathable.

Default Where/When Are You Hunting?

Are you hunting the peninsula, or the interior? What dates will you be in the field, and how are you getting to you camp? How many people will be hunting with you?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoHunter View Post
    Where is a good place to purchase Helly Hanson and what model or type does everyone recommend?
    In the Interior, you could get it at Prospectors or Big Rays. Beaver Sports might carry some, too.
    In Colorado, I think that Breeze Ski Rentals might carry some. Gandor Mtn Sports might. Dick Sports might. REI doesn't carry Helly Hanson. There is a place off of Wadsworth and I-70 that I am thinking about that you could go to, but I don't know if you are in Denver.
    There are also places in Boulder and Idaho Springs that sell Helly Hanson, too.
    Lurker.

Default remarks...

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoHunter View Post
    Buck,

Here is what I am thinking and please let me know if you or anyone out there disagrees with me.

Base Layer: Under Armour Cold Gear
    Insulating Layer: North Face bionic thermal jacket
    Vest: Sleeping Indian Sheep Mountain vest
    Out Layer: North face Gortex shell.
    Pants: ????

Or would the Cabelas Outfitters Wool Dry Plus series be better?

What is your recommendation on Insulation for boots?
    My opinions (and yes, others will disagree)

Base Layer: Many like UA, I use if for winter workouts, but I don't use it for hunting. It heats me up really good, as long as my body is working, but has adverse reactions as soon as I stop. I prefer Patagonia type stuff, but if you are comfortable with UA, then it should serve you fine.

Insulating layer: Sounds good to me

Vest: Not familiar with that, but if it's synthetic or fleece, it's a good choice.

Outer Layer: Needs serious reconsideration. I won't spend a nickel on goretex, might treat you okay in certain parts of the world (like the desert), but for keeping you comfortable in the rain, there is no substitute for good waterproof/windproof raingear.

Pants: If you are doing any type of climbing, Sporthills mountain pant are a great choice, they are comfortably warm, windproof and stretchable. There is a better pant out there (marmot maybe???) but they did run close to $300 if memory serves. Sporthills can be picked up for just over $100. If you are on relatively flat ground where you don't need the stretch capability, Cabela's makes a fleece paint with Windstopper (Windshear now) for about $50 that have served me really well. A better option yet is the Cabela's Berber Fleece with Windstopper (about $125???) (I only use these on cold weather hunts, too hot otherwise).

Cabela's Wool: I have wool and it has its place. Again, this depends on what type of hunting and where. My wool is too warm for any considerable amount of walking. The stuff you are referring to is fairly heavy in weight and I don't know what it's warmth retention factor is with the synthetics threaded in. My preference is synthetic gear covered by good raingear unless it is too cold to rain, then wool is sufficient and possible holds more value. Synthetic is lightweight and I can vary my layers to reach a comfortable temperature.

Boots: All depends on the time and place. Most times I use a boot that is insulated with 400 gram, but allows enough room for GOOD WARM SOCKS.

Socks: Kick the cotton crap out, especially by your toes!!! Some guys like smartwool, I have some. Some guys like Thorlos, I use those more often, especially if I am doing any hiking or climbing. The best tip I ever got on this site was to wear my liner socks on the OUTSIDE of my wool/synthetic sock. I started doing this this year and it has been so beneficial, I can't even explain. I was in Montana this past summer doing some hiking and lost a boot (that's a story in itself). I was just into my trip, so I had a pair of Miendle hikers rushed in. I did a hike that next day and never got a blister. At mile 13, I took off my socks and boots to allow them them to air out and soaked my feet in the ice cold creek to reduce the swelling, had lunch and jumped back in them. At mile 15 I had to make a choice as to walk around a bay in a lake that would take me aobut 4 miles out of the way, or cross and save time. I humped my pack up over my head and walked across the inlet to the bay. Never emptied my boots, other than raising my foot above and behind me, and finished the hike till sundown and set up camp. Sorry for the tangent, but it shows how important this little detail is to me. I would have had hotspots all over my feet if I had my socks the other way around. With the liner on the outside, the boot rubs against your sock, not your skin against your sock!

Ray had some good ideas as far as hat and gloves. I have fleece hat with Windstopper that I won't leave home without (my head is a radiator for cooling me off fast and need it covered). I also have fleece gloves with Windstopper. I am still looking for the best gloves mittens, so I will take some input on this too!

You have got some great info in the archieves if you take the time to searh it out, and it will be worth your time. There are many many more people out there with much more experience than I. I am just passing on, what I have learned mostly from them! Good Luck!