Thread: Fortymile Closure

Default Fortymile Closure

From the Fortymile Caribou Herd Hotline (907) 267-2310 today:

Thanks for calling the Fortymile Caribou hotline. This message was updated on August 11th, 2007

The State of Alaska RC860 Fortymile registration permit hunt in the Unit 20E areas accessible from the Taylor Highway, Zone 3, will close at 11:59 PM, Monday, August 13 2007. We expect to reach the harvest quota for the road accessible areas by this time. The remainder of RC860 will remain open.

Default No surprise

Not surprised to hear it closing so soon with the zoo going on up there. I quit hunting the Taylor Highway years ago because of the hordes going there. It used to be a decent hunt, but nowadas it is a farce and is dangerous.

Thanks for the update. I have to go up the Taylor for work next week and was not looking forward to fighting the traffic.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

That's not suprising.

This is exactly another example of Fish and Game managing (restricting) ACCESS, rather than game populations. What difference does it make, to the managers where the entire number of available animals comes from? Why leave open areas that require plane or boat access from another angle, in the very same game management unit? They should leave the entire area open, until they reach the desired number of animals taken. POOR_POOR way of management.