Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 358-375 Ruger

Default 358-375 Ruger

Since I am partial to .35 caliber cartridges, I was wondering if anyone has necked down the .375 Ruger to .358 yet ? or if anyone knows where I can find an article or two on the internet to read so I can continue my research. Thanks

Default variations on a theme

probably not....YET, but I am sure it is only a matter of time.

Default Chamber reamers/barrels/reloading dies

This question may also be a little premature; Anyone know of any company currently supplying chamber reamers/barrels/reloading dies for a .358-375 Ruger wildcat or any other variant based on this cartridge case ? Thanks

Murphy,
    I am sending you an email to the discuss the .358 Ruger wildcat further. Thanks for responding.

Just look up the 358 Norma mag for what to expect, and maybe a tad more velocity. Should be a flat shooter with 225 gr barnes TSX, or a real thumber with 280 gr A-frames.

Default Nomenclature for the 358

I quess there is an opportunity here to name the new cartridge. Wanted to post a few names here that represent our great State and give folks a chance to review them, also to open the floor for a few more.

Which one do you like or if it is not listed let us know ? Thanks

1. 358 Ruger Alaskan
    2. 358 Alaska Magnum
    3. 358 Denali
    4. 358 Yukon Magnum
    5. 358 Alaskan

Nukalpiaq

Default Reamer list

Contacted Pacific Tool and Gauge to make an inquiry about available chamber reamers based on the 375 Ruger and here is their current list.

450-375 Ruger 11689
    6.5mm-375 Ruger 10645
    7mm-375 Ruger 10644
    Rick Bin 338-375 Ruger 11721
    30-375 Ruger 10646
    416-375 Ruger 11571

Default please stop now

I haven't loaded the .358 bullets I got last week yet, and I can already see that I may need more for a 358 Yukon. How is a guy supposed to get ahead in this world if all he can think about is how to afford new guns?

Default .358 Yukon

Murphy,
    Thanks for the update, posting your progress step by step on the forum with designing this cartridge is an added bonus.
    The new "358 Yukon" sounds like it has potential to be a great Alaskan big game cartridge especially for my favorite species; Moose. The 275 grain Kodiak bonded bullets that you are using for the initial setup sounds like a good brown bear hunting bullet as well. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Thanks
    Nukalpiaq

I haven't seen enough in the Ruger 375 to make me move off the dime for a new rifle, much less to switch from 375 H&H. It's a case of "when good enough is good enough, why do I need more?" Same with the 338 and 416 calibers. Lots of variations and case choices out there, both commercial and wildcat.

But the 358 Yukon has sincere potential to take a chunk out this 35 cal pimp's wallet. There isn't a viable large case 35 caliber commercial round (discounting the 358 Norma, which today is mostly a custom deal anyway). This looks like very fruitful ground for a wildcat, and someday maybe even a commercial round.

Default 358 Yukon Magnum

Just googled the name 358 Yukon and suprisingly there were a few listing for custom cartridges; http://www.qual-cart.com and http://www.z-hat.com/Reamerlist.htm has a reamer for a .358 Yukon wildcat based on the 300 Ultra shortened to 2.560".
    A name modification may be in order for the 358-375 Ruger to avoid any confusion or future conflicts. Personally I think that adding Magnum to 358 Yukon would suffice. (358 Yukon Magnum). What do you think Murphy ?

Nukalpiaq

Default Kodiak Bullets

Found a website for Kodiak Bullets:
    http://www.hunting-rifles.com/kodiak.htm

Default .358 Nukalpiaq

Hey Murphy,
    Are you serious ? If you don't mind me calling it .358 Nukalpiaq, it would be a real honor. I just made the inquiry, you designed the cartridge.
    Most folks don't really know what the definition of "Nukalpiaq" means. The name is a designation used by the Yup'ik people for a man in his prime, a great hunter, very skilled in the art of the hunt, a hunter who always maintains a standard of ethics that respects the outdoors and the animals he is pursuing. A hunter who is respected by his community and other hunters. A Nukalpiaq is a hunter who teaches the hunter's way of life, who always shares his harvest with those around him especially with the elderly who cannot hunt and provide for themselves anylonger. Reaching the level of being a "Nukalpiaq" is a goal for all young hunters in our hunting society. It means that you were taught and you learned from the most experienced hunters in your community, hunters that were very skilled. Thankyou,
    Nukalpiaq

Default .358 Nukalpiaq

Murphy,
    I can see that you also follow the path of the "Nukalpiaq", the quality of your work in the design of this cartridge proves it.
    Quyana (Thank-you)

Nukalpiaq

Default Cartridge Headstamp

Murphy,
    Just checked the website http://www.qual-cart.com and noticed that some of the custom brass has up to 17 letters stamped on the head. 358 Nukalpiaq has only 13 (includes space), so if I had some custom brass made up for this new cartridge the name could be stamped on the head. That solves that problem. Now this is way too cool.

Default Barrel length 20' -24"/Ballistics comparison

Murphy,
    In order to get the best ballistics from this cartridge what barrel length should I be considering ? I know that the Ruger Alaskan 375 Ruger has a 20" barrel and the African has a 23" barrel. I was considering a 22".
    Is there a fairly accurate method to estimate in theory what kind of ballistics we can expect from barrel lengths that range from 20" to 24" for comparative purposes ? Thanks
    Nukalpiaq

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    This shot is a little better.

This 358 Nukalpiaq is a fine looking cartridge and no frivolous sort either. Fully functional and a decisive slayer of great beasts. Every bit the equal of any 358 caliber ever produced and in a much more sensible and compact package. Slick and beltless yet of standard length. No special length action needed. It is neither too short or too fat, nor too long or too skinny. The Ruger/Hornady cartridge case has only one minor imperfection and I think it is corrected with the neck length increase.

This capable round will drive the 280 grain Swift A-frame over 2600 fps with 74.0 grains of H4350 or 76.0 grains of RL-19.
    Or for a lighter load when the going isn't so tough, 225 grain bullets will hit 3000 fps with 80.0 grains of H4350 or 82.0 grains of RL-19. Fully the equal of the 375 H&H energy levels in a ever so slightly smaller bullet diameter and weight. A pretty dern good, down to earth, get-r-done cartridge for any 35 caliber lover.

Default If you're serious about this....

I've been tossing this around for the past few days, and I was talking to my dad about it on the phone tonight. If you're actually thinking about getting a run of brass, reamer, etc, count me in if you're looking to drive the cost per person down. I'm interested, and I suspect my dad might be as well. I had been toying with the idea of making a 35 Newton, but this 358 Nukalpiaq seems like it would be very similar and cheaper if several people wanted to share some of the expenses.
    Have either one of you considered actions to use for this gun? I (actually my dad) may have a source for NOS FN actions still in the white. Just a thought.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I've been tossing this around for the past few days, and I was talking to my dad about it on the phone tonight. If you're actually thinking about getting a run of brass, reamer, etc, count me in if you're looking to drive the cost per person down. I'm interested, and I suspect my dad might be as well. I had been toying with the idea of making a 35 Newton, but this 358 Nukalpiaq seems like it would be very similar and cheaper if several people wanted to share some of the expenses.
    Have either one of you considered actions to use for this gun? I (actually my dad) may have a source for NOS FN actions still in the white. Just a thought.
    Yeah, I think we're serious about it. The reamer drawings will be done in the next day or two, dies can be ordered in about a week. The contact at Hornady is Pat Langer, he might enjoy hearing from folks who want the brass. They will probably make a run of brass, with some encouragement, for the 375 Ruger. This would be best made with the taper and without necking to 375 Ruger specs, leaving it straight, with no neck. We can then neck it down to our finalized 358, or 416, or 365, or 338, or 425 or what ever. I've done this several times and I think I can pull it off. I will soon own four reamers for 375 Ruger wildcats. Basically, any shot your want, 338, 358, 365, 411, 416, 425, and I think a 458 could be made up on this case.

I am ready to buy the 358 Nukalpiaq reamer and gages, as soon as final dimensions are worked out.

I would be very much interested in a couple of the actions.
    Last edited by Murphy; 08-16-2007 at 12:47.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default actions

I will probably talk to my dad again in the next week or so and will ask about getting actions. He recently (within the last year or 2) got one that he used for either another '06 or a 7x64....I don't remember which. He said at the time that the guy had a bunch of them.
    I don't have the 375 Ruger case dimensions handy. I know it was designed to function in a standard length action, but as I recall FN actions are a bit shorter than a Model 70 or Sako action, which might affect bullet selection a bit. Also, what about case diameter? I'm just wondering about potential feeding problems or necessary modifications if an FN action was used for this.
    I apologize if I'm hijacking Nukalpiaq's thread, but a bigger 35 is something I've been interested in for awhile now. According to Cartridges of the World, the 35 Newton, which I had been considering, was achieving velocities of almost 3000 fps with 250 gr. factory loads. Phil Sharpe lists a 275 gr. load at over 2600 fps. It sounds as though the 358 Nukalpiaq would easily rival that.
    Last edited by walk-in; 08-16-2007 at 17:35. Reason: clarification

No problem walk-in. I was considering using a Charles Daly Long Action that I purchased this past winter. If I did the bolt face, extractor and magazine box would very likely need some modifications to accomodate the .532" rim of the .358 Nukalpiaq. I was also considering as an alternative putting in an order for a MRC 1999 CSRM. As for the brass, count me in. What kinda prices are we looking at ?
    Murphy, maybe some of the forum members may also be interested in ordering a set of reloading dies for their .358 rifle/ammo projects.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast