Thread: Interesting Fair Chase article in Alaska Magazine

Default Interesting Fair Chase article in Alaska Magazine

Just picked up the latest issue of Alaska Magazine and noticed an interesting article about the meaning of Fair Chase hunting. The author presented several different view points and did a good job in my opinion. Interestingly, SCI refused to go on record for the article, but a B&C rep was quoted. The article even mentioned a high fence elk killing operation on Kodiak. I wasn't aware that one of these facilities existed in Alaska, rather I was always of the opinion that they were limited to Texas and other such places.

The article even mentioned a high fence elk killing operation on Kodiak.

News to me. To my knowledge that operation has never done any hunting and doesn't plan to. This whole thing makes me doubt the author a whole bunch, whether it was sloppy writing or ax grinding.

Default high fence elk

The article didn't specifically say that any elk had been killed at the 600 acre fenced in area, but quotes from the owner made it clear that killing an elk there was a possibility and was the reason for having the elk. The article didn't bash high fence hunting, rather it was presented as a contrast to hunting wild animals. Notably the high fence operation was mentioned as an option for a disabled person who wanted to kill an elk. The author also noted that the elk in this operation are fed antler growth supplements and have produced some large antlers.

Yeah, I've seen them and the antlers look like something from Walt Disney. As for 600 acres, unless they've done a whole bunch of new fencing that's waaaaayyyy off. They only have 120 fenced.

Default article

In the overall big-scheme I think it was a good article, pro-hunting in a responsible manor.

Kindly keep in mind that Alaska magizine literally reaches people from around the world. The maginze is read by everone from hunters, to non-hunters, and even people who'd like to do away with ALL hunting. The overall message of the article was good. The article was full of positive and educational materail.

good hunting...>Byron Lamb

PS..>Good points made in previous posts about SCI, it was interesting that they didn't have anything to say. I am re-thinking my position about SCI also.

ya they got some great lookin' elk down there, always hoping one gets out cause remainder of unit 8 is open to registration elk huntning..hummmm
    now those buffalo hunts.....lol