Thread: Halibut in September?

Seward, AK

Default Halibut in September?

My wife and I want to come to AK for some halibut fishing and possibly some salmon if they are running but we can't get up there until about the first week of September. Would it be worth the $3,000-$4,000 to fish during that time?

Sarasota, Florida

Default September Kodiak...

I have wailed halibut out of that community in mid-September for the last 2 years.

My room runs me less than a hundred, the charter at sea $270, I walk to the salmon right out the back door, I fly roundtrip free to and from Anchorage from the Lower 48 with credit card vouchers, pay less than $300 round trip for the island hop to and from Anchorage, and even make it without a rental car.

What I do, anyone can do if they plan ahead...

If I could get out to Kodiak (anytime of year), I'd love to do it. ProfishnSea down in Seward fishes into September and did pretty well last year:
    One problem is the weather, as fall storms are starting up, but there are clearly fish to be had.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.