Thread: Moving up to the last great adventure in the wonderful USA.

Default Moving up to the last great adventure in the wonderful USA.

Hi guys, just wondering about some of your opinions on the difficulty of finding new hunting partners willing to show a experienced hunter some things that will be new to him. Packing up the truck and camper, wife, kid and dogs and leaving to go live my lifelong dream life in AK. Its been a long hard decision to leave my life here and all my family but you only live once and I already wasted to much time down here! Only been there a couple times but its what I was born to do. After coming home from a yukon hunt last Oct. I started discussing it with my wife and from that day on we have been making the arangments to leave. I have a new baby that will be having her first christmas with all of our family and as soon as the snow melts up north I will be off on my lifelong adventure. This is the first forum I have ever joined so Im not to into this kind of communication but I hope to just find a few guys to talk to every now and then when the hunting and trapping is slow this season.

Default Welcome

to the forum and to Alaska. I have only been here two years but have found everyone to be more than willing to spend time talking with someone new; especially all of those on this forum. You can also search the archives and have a wealth of information, give you something to do until the snow melts down there. Have a safe trip.

Dave

Default Welcome

Dogman – Welcome to the board. I have been here only 2 years as well and I have to agree with barrowdave about everyone being willing to help and kind of steer you in the right direction. What I will tell you is that a lot of folks are “Close hold” on their favorite hunting spots, its kind of like a girl who gives up the goods on the first date, they just don’t want their “Goods” overrun with tons of hunters.

I will also mention that this forum is one of the BEST resources for hunting info. It is very easy to check how the hunt is going in Chicken or if someone is looking to partner up for a goat hunt in Kodiak. There are also the recurring topics of rifle caliber, bear fence, and “Tundra Trucks” (Search that one). Just ask any question and you will get people honest opinion. Again welcome.

Drew

Where will you be moving to? If it's around the Anchorage area, I'd be happy to show you around a bit when you get here. If Fairbanks or the Kenai Peninsula, there are plenty of guys on here from those regions who are happy to help as well. In the meantime, you may find that your first visit to these forums quickly develops into an addiction. Welcome!

Dogman,
    Welcome to the Great Land!

If you have some fexibility when you can leave may I suggest moving before mid-April, with mid March being optimum. Lots of daylight and the the dirt sections of road are actually better in winter. The snow smoothes out the ruts, washboard and potholes. The best part is minimal mud.

Smile Welcome!

Dogman-I wholeheartedly understand and can relate to your situation. I am an recent transplant and my success so far is greatly due to the generous individuals on this site. Since arriving here, I have received more tips on "possible" fishing holes than I could possibly find time to explore. The folks are great! Shoot me a PM (private message, click on "BucknRut" and click the "Private message" option) if you want any specifics on getting your family and belongings up here. There is a bit of discussion going on about this right now in a Thread in the General Discussion Forum.

Where are you planning to move to? What's your line of work?

Best of Luck and let the questioning begin!

-Joshua

Red face Oops

Dogman-just thought of something...you probably won't be able to access that link. This forum has special requirements for new members and you must wait a certain number of days before you can access the General Discussion Forum. PM me for further explaination or info.
    -Buck

Default here

There are some good people on the forum

Default Moving to AK

Stay away from Anchorage and you'll love Alaska

Boy do I resemble those remarks!!! I'm sure you came as close to bringing a tear to the eyes of some on this forum as they've ever had. Those of us that have longed to move there and have fought so hard for so long to get there, I think the victory of getting there will be so much the sweeter. I can tell you for sure that there are a LOT of great people on this forum, more than willing to help you out - just like most Alaskans (provided they didn't just move up from Cali). Last week I wanted to carve a lifesized fish mount and I needed some photo references of a king salmon - top view and bottom view. It took two days but somebody made me some pix and posted them here for me. Is that nice or what!! I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on other Georgians to be that kind. That's one of the reasons I am moving there. ...that and the hunting and fishing.

dogman. I made the move from western Montana in 1991. Alaska has been good to me and many others. It's a great place and once you get here you'll make many new friends. Sounds like you've begun to make some here already. I'm in Fairbanks and if you light up here give me a shout.

Welcome to your Alaskan life!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Everyone wants to go hunting up here. They all plan there trips well in advance and get all excited for months before the hunt. Then, reality sets in and half the party cancels cause they will not pony up the bucks for the hunt or they give the old "My wife is pissed" or " I can't get away from work" excuses.
    My point is always take with a grain of salt when someone says they will go with you untill you know and trust them. If you are serious and have the money and the integrity to plan and make the hunt you will make some hunting partners for life.
    Enjoy and drop me a line next spring and we can go halibut fishing in my boat
    As far as people hating Anchorage, well I love it here and consider it paradise after living in Fairbanks for 4 years.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up You are most welcome here-

Dogman,

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to welcome you to Alaska, and to Outdoors Directory. You have no doubt already discovered that this website is a huge source of information to assist you in whatever outdoor adventures you are planning or dreaming about.

I would be more than happy to be a listening ear or a sounding board for your questions and ideas, as are many others here. Most of us are from somewhere else (I moved here from Hawaii in 1985, and have no intentions of leaving); we understand first-hand how difficult it is to break in to another place. You will find that most Alaskans are pleasant, neighborly folk who are more than happy to assist when asked.

Feel free to drop me a private message and we can get together on the phone if you like. I'd be happy to share what I've learned in my brief time here.

While you are dreaming about living in the northland, CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO by Buster Shebal. It was what drew me to Alaska initially, and it's fantastic. You will love it.

Best regards to you and your family,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Congrats and welcome.

Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but you might find finding hunting partners can be pretty tough. My experience has been those that are serious hunters have their partners and have no interest in getting a new guy lined out. Those that say sure I'll take you out tend not to be the most serious and as was mentioned flake out.

So I took the tact that my kids would be my hunting partners and I'd put time in harvesting future hunters first, and get into game later on. The upside is the kids love the outdoors, the downside has been big game has been pretty much a bust.

But now that the two oldest have been through the hunter/safety program, and I can take them out in the field w/o scaring away every critter, our sucess should be changing.

And as to the Anchorage comments, well we all have to work to support living up here, and Anchorage has more employment opportunities than anywhere else. Also Alaska is a short drive away.

We moved up 10 years ago, and I couldn't live anywhere else.