Thread: Whittier water

Default Whittier water

Just wondering if anybody made it out of Whittier today? The sounded bad today but was hoping to make it out tommorow.......Thanx

Yeah I spent the entire day out there. Nothing but blue sky and flat water. I'm sun burned to a nice sockeye red

Oh I guess I could give a report There were silvers jumping from pigot point to knight island. Everywhere you looked you would see atleast 3 fish in the air. I've never seen anything like it, then again I haven't spent much time on the ocean! If there had been less people in the boat and casting was a possibility, I firmly believe almost every cast would have hooked a silver. Caught some butts, all chickens though. Oh well, got about 20lbs in the freezer so who am I to complain?

Smile

Thanx for the report . What size boat were you on? It showed the wind was West @ 18 gusting to 28 most of the day. But I don't have any experience with reported wind and related seas in Whittier. I have watched it in Homer, and 12-14 mph south there is bad. Thats why I chickened out today. Thanx again

Ok, now I'm disappointed. I actually went to Whittier today (saturday) and when we got there I looked at the whitecaps, remembered the horrible ride I had there the last time it looked like that and I and my seasickness prone passenger came back home. Now I'm really sorry we didn't give it a try. I looked at the forcasts and also looked at the data from the buoy and didn't believe the no wave report it was giving.

Well, maybe I'll try it again tomorrow.

Took some relatives out on a cruise today. The wind in Whittier was bad, but the waves were small (compared to the fun days out of Seward and Homer). Once you got a few miles from Whittier the water was flat and great. We were on the 150' Klondike Express and it was smooth as butter. The sun was bright and it was warm. Saw the salmon jumping, but not much you can do from a cruise ship. Looking forward to next year when I trade the zodiac for a 24' HewesCraft.

Default Just Got Back!!!

Weather was just like everyone described, although the wind was starting to pick up again when we were pulling out at 8:30pm tonight. Id say somewhere between 15-20 knots. My experience has been that when Passage is howling like it was this morning, its usually flattens out when you get close to Port Wells.

We fished Pigot Pt all day, didnt limit out again, but every silver we caught was a HOG. There were jumpers alright, but most I saw were pinks.
    AH

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    Thanx for the report . What size boat were you on? It showed the wind was West @ 18 gusting to 28 most of the day. But I don't have any experience with reported wind and related seas in Whittier. I have watched it in Homer, and 12-14 mph south there is bad. Thats why I chickened out today. Thanx again
    24' Raider. There were 2' waves for the first few miles and then it smoothed right out.

Default Pigot PassageCAnal, Whittier

Like the others said smallwhitecaps for ther first few miles beatiful lfat seas after that. My wife landed 2 nice silvers , had a great weeekend in our 18' zodiac.
    Saw a john boat out at pigot,same guy that started to drop his boat trailer and so n off the rip rap at Whittier-I did not have the smallest boat out there for a change- I hope they made it back OK.
    If youy didn't go, you missed a glorious day on the water!
    Rob

Left Surprise Cove at 0600 Sunday to head to Whittier. Water flat, not a breath of wind. Got to Passage Canal and water and wind picked up. Howling at Whittier. No fun trying arriving at the dock in Whittier at a minus tide with the wind howling, no room to dock, and trying to retrieve while everyone else is trying to launch. But hey, Fri. and Sat. were picture perfect.

Same experience, calm, calm, calm, everywhere else in the sound, then rough as heck in Passage Canal. Short period waves 3-4ft when I came through. No problem though, just bow down and smash through them.

I don't recall seeing any silvers jumping in the sound, mainly pinks.

Default The worst I have seen all summer!

Saw lots of fish yesterday. Caught two of the biggest silvers I have ever caught. Great day, sunshine in Culross and Nellie Juan. Coming back at about 9 PM last night, a little chop in Port Wells. Then all hell broke loose in Passage Canal from Shot Gun cove to the harbor! Man that was rough! We took the north side thinking it would be smoother......NOT!

I had to take the Advil this morning!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Weather

Went out Friday at noon and returned Monday at 6 pm. Only waves we saw were Sunday morning N of Perry. I did see one silver jump, and about 10,000 pinks. Silvers were biting everything we tried to get past them. Caught a white king off the bottom in 80' off Pigot. Thank you thieves for not stealing my shrimp pots this time.

Quote Originally Posted by GOT TOYS View Post
    Went out Friday at noon and returned Monday at 6 pm. Only waves we saw were Sunday morning N of Perry. I did see one silver jump, and about 10,000 pinks. Silvers were biting everything we tried to get past them. Caught a white king off the bottom in 80' off Pigot. Thank you thieves for not stealing my shrimp pots this time.
    We caught a white king too. I was filleting it and it took me by surprise. Are these considered winter kings?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

akbassking
    Maybe next summer Ill be able to get out with you. Have you been to the Deshka lately? Chris

Default White Kings

They come up from Canada, forget the river?
    good eating.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    akbassking
    Maybe next summer Ill be able to get out with you. Have you been to the Deshka lately? Chris

Nope, I have been out in PWS all summer. Deshka and Lake creek are starting to be a King only area for us.

We did great Sat. Caught a few in South Culross and then we went exploring. Went to the end of Kings Bay. What a great place! We then went to Dickerson bay and finished up on Silvers. The seas were dead clam and I was able to go WOT back to Whittier. Wife caught the biggest silver ever 31 inches! It was a hog. We then went to Johnson Pass Trail and played in the mountains for a while on Sunday.

Leahy: I have heard they were good eating. There have been a few folks that have caught these this year. Is this the norm?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469