Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep reports?

Default Sheep reports?

I know it's only day two of the season but has anyone received a sat-phone call from the sheep mountains about any opening day success?

(September 12th feels a million years away)

Default I know

I know the feeling. Mine starts September 5th and I can hardly sleep!!!!!
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Waiting in Suspense

I will be hunting sheep up there next year. I am curious of what is going out there in the mountains. Hopefully a story will emerge soon. Can't wait.

Default Hating the waiting game!

I also have been checking like crazy to hear any updates on those out sheep hunting. So far all I get to know is that the weather for the Tok area has been great the last few days.....it is all just a waiting game now!

Default Hang in there...:)

I chuckled with this post.
    Even with opening day rams it's always a long haul back into civilization. Should start reading some news by the 13th.
    Makes ya wanna get out there!

Frank

It is a little early, Frank, but sometimes folks can make it out quickly. I've had two opening day rams home by mid-day on the 11th. I'm getting anxious to hear the reports too!

Default Round Mountain DS150

Just got back from Round Mountain. Not very much area to hunt, but found 4 rams and probably 60 ewes/lambs. The largest Ram I saw was probably 7/8th curl (looked at him for about 3 hours). The others were 1/2 - 3/4. Saw a beautiful mountain goat billy hanging out with the sheep and got to within 30 yards of him without him even knowing I was in the country. Wish I had better news, but the future looks good with all of the lambs living up there. Flying out for my goat hunt on Monday.....just long enough time to let my legs rest.

Default Round Mountain

I glassed a ram up on round mountain from the Russian River campground this summer that looked a little better than full curl. He was WAY down low. Maybe he was the 7/8 you saw.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

He was about half way down the north face with a 3/4 curl ram (probably facing more towards Cooper Landing than to the Russian). He looked full when you looked from the side or top, but when I got the view that made a circle, I just couldn't get the 360 degrees. Like I mentioned, I looked at him for at least 3 hours through my spotting scope at about 200 yards. I sure hope the other 2 permit hunters give him the complete look over and don't make a mistake.

Default Good call...

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    He was about half way down the north face with a 3/4 curl ram (probably facing more towards Cooper Landing than to the Russian). He looked full when you looked from the side or top, but when I got the view that made a circle, I just couldn't get the 360 degrees. Like I mentioned, I looked at him for at least 3 hours through my spotting scope at about 200 yards. I sure hope the other 2 permit hunters give him the complete look over and don't make a mistake.
    Adam, great and timely post. Sounds like you gave this guy the full meal deal with the glass.
    Hopefully it will help new hunters chomping to get out for their scheduled sheep hunts to understand what it takes and that if there's any doubt you just have to let 'em walk.
    Theres no second chances with a dead sheep, but there is usually another ridgetop to glass...

Have a great goat hunt, we await pics and a great story.

Frank

Default Sheep Hunt

Did an overnight with my 12 YO son up Boulder Creek never seen more Sheep hunters. In one spot heard reports of 2 Rams taken. Saw 3 3/4 plus curls no legal. But had a good time and neat to be out. Saw one Griz. a long ways off and heard of one more being killed.

Default Brooks success

Sorry no pictures or any great detail yet. I was supposed to be on this hunt with my partner but had to change plans because of work. My partners brother shot his first ram yesterday afternoon (the 11th) up in the brooks. He called me from the sat phone briefly. I will post some pics and details once they return.

Thumbs up Opening Day- 10am

AlaskaCub and I got on top of this guy at 10 am opening morning. He nailed him with the 300 wizzum and load of copper. I'm sure he'll post the story and some more pics later but here's a preview.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default report

just got back from the sheep hunt, went with the old man and had a blast. Great weather, saw lots of animals, enjoyed my time out there even without getting a ram. Here are a few pics attached
    1.) black bear picture taken through the spotting scope- it was pretty cool watching another blackie sow with 2 cubs chase him off, she made it clear that he wasn't welcome... the boar also came over about 30 yards away to peek his head over a hill to check us out, wish I had my camera ready but hands were full with a rifle ready to chase him off, which went well by the way- ran at him yelling loud and he was gone.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...P1010877-1.jpg

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...t=P1010864.jpg

2.) another spotting scope pic- 6 rams. Can't see much for horns in the pics but MAYBE 1-2 legal, the other 4 were young. Put a 8 hour stalk on them and the possible 2 legal rams NEVER showed, not even once, also made themselves very difficult to get to by the end of it all, lots of fun though, just never got quite close enough to see if they were FOR SURE legal or not.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...t=P1010912.jpg

3.) caribou wandered into camp, definitely a curious one. The Old Man did the old white flag trick with a handkerchief and that bou' came in pretty fast to maybe 30-40 yards, again pretty cool to watch him. Caribou season didn;t open for another 2 days, could have shot the blackie but didn't feel the desire to pack him out nor spook any sheep!

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...t=P1010899.jpg

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...t=P1010906.jpg

Great country, great trip, ready to go again next year! BTW- it was my first time taking pics through a spotting scope, the few that turned out were awesome; especially the caribou! Lesson learned- take as many pictures as possible whenever possible, with a digital camera they can always be deleted later, not retaken!!!

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...t=P1010920.jpg

Thumbs up TMA sheep

Found my way to my first ever sheep in the TMA! Had a blast. I'll have pictures soon and some stories. Mine was 35.5, and my hunting partners was 36.5. Got his on day 1, and mine on day 2 of the hunt.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

NICE JOB! Looking forward to reading the story and seeing the pics.

Oh, and FALCON got his ram and is headed home now. I'm sure he'll post something in few days.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I don't have the full story on this one yet... but my old co-worker and I will be having lunch and discussing her most recent successful hunt with her dad!

This is my old co-worker and her ram!

You make every woman that hunts very proud! I am SOOOO incredibly proud of you!

This is my old co-worker that is starting her hike in...

This is her ram!

...and then they fly out... what an easy way to hunt!

Thank goodness for a great fiance and taxidermist dad!!!
    Always,
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

Default nice ram

Very nice ram she's got there. He looks at least 10 years old and nicely broomed. Fly in/out or not-----there's no easy sheep hunt. Congrats to her.

I dont think I have ever seen a sheep hunter in blue jeans before. Thats about as amazing as the sheep.

Oh man, that's one nice looking ram. A perfect circle from that angle. Nice job!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast