Thread: monument ?

Default monument ?

has anyone been down monument lately? i've heard it is pretty tore up. anyone want to volunteer to get this trail graveled?

Default a few weeks ago

The wife and i was up there a few eks ago and im not forsure what you would call torn up but here is a post of a few pictures of the load i brought up it
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=16544
    anyway good luck

Quote Originally Posted by AKRAZY1 View Post
    has anyone been down monument lately? i've heard it is pretty tore up. anyone want to volunteer to get this trail graveled?
    May as well dump billions of marbles on it- same effect, too steep for gravel. Andy bladed it 2 years ago, it helped some till the rains messed it up again. I'm against any trail improvements anywhere in alaska. If you can't get there, you don't belong there IMO People would have every trail paved like a bike path if you let them

It wouldnt be Monument without the mind numbing terror of going end over end all the way to the bottom!

Default ?????

just a question for someone
    what is the deal with the other monument trails when you looking at it from the little nel it would be to the left a ridge or two looks a little more gradule but didnt get to inveticate it did find where it comes back into the main trail on mon but didnt get to take it is steeped then looks or is it swamps ville anybody know??

oh and dws billions of marbles could be chalanging hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    what is the deal with the other monument trails when you looking at it from the little nel it would be to the left a ridge or two looks a little more gradule but didnt get to inveticate it did find where it comes back into the main trail on mon but didnt get to take it is steeped then looks or is it swamps ville anybody know??
    Go try it and report back Friends who have been that way say it's an easier up except for a shorter, steeper section. Probably longer trail like the Flat Creek trail up monument. A shorter way out has to be the main reason for going straight up.

Default Monument

Went down on 8/3 and up 8/5. Did not encounter any serious difficulties. The trail looking to the left side is doable, stay to the left, some serious swamps if you don't.

Whats the big deal with monument anyways? Granted, its a steep hill but if you've got gears or even an engine break, it shouldn't be too bad. We were going down that hill on two-stroke suzuki 80's when we were 8 years old. Take your time and go slow. If you dont feel comfortable dont do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Whats the big deal with monument anyways? Granted, its a steep hill but if you've got gears or even an engine break, it shouldn't be too bad. We were going down that hill on two-stroke suzuki 80's when we were 8 years old. Take your time and go slow. If you dont feel comfortable dont do it.
    The big deal is when ya screw up and end up in the hospital like many people have. a suzuki 80 sounds pretty safe, sorta like driving a riding lawnmower up it About 3 years ago I was a few hours behind a truck that lost it going down and rolled multiple times. Gear scattered all the way down, they were Helivaced out. So I guess Monument is no big deal unless you draw the short straw.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    So I guess Monument is no big deal unless you draw the short straw.
    You could say the same of driving to Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    You could say the same of driving to Anchorage.
    Monument is safer! You can usually jump out or off whatever your driving on monument, that don't work so well on the highway

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan
    Go try it and report back Friends who have been that way say it's an easier up except for a shorter, steeper section. Probably longer trail like the Flat Creek trail up monument. A shorter way out has to be the main reason for going straight up.
    dws reports it correctly. It's easier except for a shorter, steeper section (which isn't torn up like Monument is). It's also much swampier at the lower end of it, but that isn't too bad (again, because it isn't used much).

Question Old Man Trail

Having snowmachined all over Eureka way but less familiar on trail, I'm curious on a well equipped wheeler (no snorkel kit, though) as to the following:

From the 4 corners if you head ENE on what I'm calling Old Man Trail (winter route to Lake Louise), do you get to the Nelchina circumventing Monument in the process? If so, how's the trail? Can you cross the Nelchina near there or do you have to go back upstream toward where the trail off Monument comes down? If you can cross, can you cut back up into the higher country to the NW or does the trail(s) continue into the swamps more-or-less?

THX

Quote Originally Posted by bwake View Post
    Having snowmachined all over Eureka way but less familiar on trail, I'm curious on a well equipped wheeler (no snorkel kit, though) as to the following:

From the 4 corners if you head ENE on what I'm calling Old Man Trail (winter route to Lake Louise), do you get to the Nelchina circumventing Monument in the process? If so, how's the trail? Can you cross the Nelchina near there or do you have to go back upstream toward where the trail off Monument comes down? If you can cross, can you cut back up into the higher country to the NW or does the trail(s) continue into the swamps more-or-less?

THX
    Two friends tried to drag me down into them black spruce swamps one day. Good thing my third friend listened to me and we passed on that ordeal. winch, stuck, winch ,stuck etc. for hours they said later. I know this doesn't help you much with all your questions and conditions change all the time in there. Just the mention of "winter trail" and "black spruce in A VALLEY" is enough to make me run for high ground

Default Swamps

I kinda figured that would be the case. I seem to remember traveling a ways down the trail years ago and it seemed like it paralleled the ridge line for the most part. Just thinking that the stretch of Nelchina down by the sand bluffs there (that I recall from winter) would be some great grayling holes.