Thread: smoked salmon

Default smoked salmon

Do you have a good recipe. Anyone ever try anything with Teryaki or other flavors. Thanks.

Lightbulb

Check out the "Alaskan Pantry" section on this web site by clicking on the link below. Plenty of smoked salmon recipes posted there.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=5127

After years of playing around with secret brine recipes, I've come to the conclusuion that much of the extra flavoring/herbs/spices that are added in relatively miniscule amounts (when compared to the volume of brine) end up just being diluted away in the rinsing step.

I've reverted back to the KISS principle.

3 parts packed brown sugar to 1 part pickling salt... that's it.

Fluff it up large bowl and drop a piece of salmon in, flesh side down, coating all the exposed meat. Pick it up out of the bowl, and whatever sticks STICKS.... that's the perfect amount of "dry rub" to apply. DO NOT RUB. Throw the coated piece into a large plastic jar.

Repeat with every single piece of fish, remembering to fluff up the rub each time before dropping in the next piece to get an even coating. Remember, whatever sticks is the perfect amount. When the jar is full of fish, seal it with the lid, and give the contents a good tumbling. Turn the jar on its side and give it a quarter turn every 2-3 hours.

Rinse away excess brine and slime, pat fish dry.

Arrange on racks, apply freshly ground pepper, and let pellicle form as Marcus said ( probably the MOST important step to getting an eye-pleasing curd-free result).

Smoke to desired level of dryness. Personally I prefer mine just cooked, very moist. Takes a little more attention with back pieces which are more prone to drying out. Belly pieces are much more forgiving of overcooking... they keep their moisture much better.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

One thing I started doing last year that really improved the quality of my smoked salmon was putting the pieces in a food dehyrator for a few hours before I put them in the smoker. Try it, you'll be impressed.

I put mine on racks and place a good strong fan in front of them for a few hours. Definitely a crucial step.

The most common mistake folks make is not spending enough time drying the fish before it goes into the smoker, if put in to early it will ruin your fish quick!