Thread: Starter Fly Tying Kit

Arrow Starter Fly Tying Kit

Interested in tying my own flies this winter (mostly Russian River / coho flies)and was hoping to receive some advice on purchasing a quality kit that's available locally for a reasonable price.

I looked at some of the vises at Sportsman's Warehouse and came away liking the weighted tabletop style better than the traditional type that can be screwed down on the edge of a table. Are there significant pros or cons associated with either?

Would it be wiser to buy a full kit or pick up the components separately?

I still have most of the tools in this kit http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...534&hasJS=true

The vice wore out pretty fast but it was good to start with. My current vice has performed flawlessly for 8 years now (I saved up for 2 months when I was 12 to buy it, renzetti traveller)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Wow, great price! Looks like you get a lot for the money and the reviews are quite positive.

Just need to figure out the shipping cost. Often times that's the deal killer for those of us in Alaska.

I recommend buying everthing separately. With the kits you get a lot of stuff you don't need.
    The better the tools and vice the less stress you will have.
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    I recommend buying everthing separately. With the kits you get a lot of stuff you don't need.
    The better the tools and vice the less stress you will have.
    dave
    Couldn't agree more! Especially if all you want to tie is streamers! Get your self some good tools an excellent book(there are so many available I couldn't pick just one) and some good quality materials. Save money heartache and time. Highly recommend a class also many techniques just donut translate well in written form. PM if ya want specific tool material advice.

AKPM I've been using my renzetti about 15 years now, awesome vice! Oh hey legal bull in the yard!!! Gotta run!!

I have 12 years on my Renzetti. No need for anything else! I love it and recomend it to anyone who is planning on tying flies. It is a big investment but it last a lifetime. I don't know anyone who recomends the cheapest gun and scope out there for our first time hunters?
    Dave