Thread: Late Season Blackies

Default Late Season Blackies

Went up to no-name creek and spotted a blackie about 400 yards uphill; wasn't confident enough to take a shot but was really tempted (as we all are with testing our fences). Saw another on a seperate butte and was completely in awe of our great state and creation in general. Anyone have any tips for practice for such a shot? The bear was guessed at about 5.5', not a triangle anymore but not much past it. The other was definately a shooter with a broad spread on the ears.

By the way, both were excellent coats with no visable rubs!
    Last edited by Back Country Robb; 08-10-2007 at 22:14. Reason: Extra comments.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

400 yards is a long shot to take on a bear with about any gun....close the distance....otherwise you may wind up chasing a wounded bear, and trust me, that is not much fun!

Default Get Closer

Unless you are very confident, I wouldn't take that shot. Bear feeding up high are pretty easy to get closer to if you have the wind right. They can't see very well and don't look for danger a lot. I had a similar situation last year and got within 300 and made the shot. It was still pretty far but a porcupine gave up my position and the bear was about to take off.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."