Thread: Jim Creek Ride Tomorrow (11 Aug 07)

Default Jim Creek Ride Tomorrow (11 Aug 07)

Sorry for the late post but wanted to know if anyone was going to be out at Jim Creek tomorrow? Plan on getting out there around 10:45am tomorrow. The plan is to make it all the way to the glacier. If you see us, flag us down. I will have a 07' Rhino 660 (red), 07' Grizzly 700 (SE Silver), and 05' Sportsman 500 (red).

AKMuddy

I'm game, I'll be there with a yellow Bombardier Outlander.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Sorry for the late post but wanted to know if anyone was going to be out at Jim Creek tomorrow?

AKMuddy
    You and a thousand other people

There was a few hundred up there at midnight when I left and more people were headed in

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    You and a thousand other people

There was a few hundred up there at midnight when I left and more people were headed in
    Ya, with the great weather and Silver Salmon running I figured it would be crowded. Hope most are there for the fishing. Maybe will not be too crowded out near the glacier. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    I'm game, I'll be there with a yellow Bombardier Outlander.

I'll look for you. I will be in the red Rhino with my son, my wife will be on the 700 Grizzly SE (pink helmet), and my buddy will be on my son's red 500 Polaris Sportsman.

Default No Knik/Jim Creek run today!!!

Loaded all the rigs on the trailer yesterday (3rd time this week I used the trailer) getting ready for today's run. I needed to fuel up so this morning I ran up to Glacier View Tesoro in Palmer. Leaving the driveway, I immediately noticed something was wrong with my trailer. Just tap the breaks and it would lock up. I figured it would work itself out so I headed out for fuel. I turned on the blinker at the corner of Inner and Outer Spinger Loop and the trailer brakes locked up every time the blinker came on. I pulled over and unplugged the trailer. Got fuel and checked out the trailer brake wiring. No noticeable/visible problems noted. Prodigy brake controller is flashing the "H5" error. Says there is a short somewhere. I got home and unloaded the trailer. Hooked the truck up to my 5th wheel. Brake controller is fine. Hooked the ATV trailer up to the "in bed" 5th wheel plug. "H5" flashes again. That proves it is not either truck plug and is in the ATV trailer. Luckily, I can ride right behind the house so all was not lost. I will check the trailer out tomorrow ,but was interested to see if anyone had any ideas. I think it might be in the trailer plug. What do you guys think?

AKMuddy,
    Sorry to hear about your trailer problems. Electrical problems can be a bear to track down, particularly if they're intermittent.

Lots of people out fishing along Jim Creek (easily 50 trucks parked along the banks). The main creek crossings required picking your way, but were pretty much typical. The puddles through Wolf Point were the lowest I've ever seen them them (allowing me to see enough of the bottom to understand why I got stuck in them in the past).

Metal Creek (the last one before reaching the glacier) was running very fast, and was also extremely silty, so you couldn't see bottom. I poked around a bit, but couldn't find a way to get all the way across the various channels without passing through what appeared to be deep water. As I was riding solo, and there are no trees to connect the winch cable to, I decided to play it safe and postpone tackling that creek until later this season, when it's running slower, or better yet, frozen over!

Instead I followed the Metal Creek trail up past the burned-out A-frame, until the trail sort of vanished in an apparent rock slide next to a small creek. Fantastic weather, and lots of fireweed and bright red berries.

Also, considering that we did a Jim Creek cleanup just a few months ago, there sure seemed to be a lot of burned out cars along the trails...

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Loaded all the rigs on the trailer yesterday (3rd time this week I used the trailer) getting ready for today's run. I needed to fuel up so this morning I ran up to Glacier View Tesoro in Palmer. Leaving the driveway, I immediately noticed something was wrong with my trailer. Just tap the breaks and it would lock up. I figured it would work itself out so I headed out for fuel. I turned on the blinker at the corner of Inner and Outer Spinger Loop and the trailer brakes locked up every time the blinker came on. I pulled over and unplugged the trailer. Got fuel and checked out the trailer brake wiring. No noticeable/visible problems noted. Prodigy brake controller is flashing the "H5" error. Says there is a short somewhere. I got home and unloaded the trailer. Hooked the truck up to my 5th wheel. Brake controller is fine. Hooked the ATV trailer up to the "in bed" 5th wheel plug. "H5" flashes again. That proves it is not either truck plug and is in the ATV trailer. Luckily, I can ride right behind the house so all was not lost. I will check the trailer out tomorrow ,but was interested to see if anyone had any ideas. I think it might be in the trailer plug. What do you guys think?
    Muddy, I have had that same problem previously. Quick fix: you can crawl under the axles of your trailer, and just disconnect (cut) the ground wire to the electronic brakes....while you are in the field. Once you are able to get it repaired, You can either take it to Valley RV and they can hook a tester into your trailer plug, and it will tell them which wire is messed up. I am thinking that the ground connection on your trailer wiring is corroded/loose, etc. You can also simply disconnect the plug itself from the wiring and check the connections, making sure that you tag each connection so you don't get them mixed up. Hope that helps....

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Muddy, I have had that same problem previously. Quick fix: you can crawl under the axles of your trailer, and just disconnect (cut) the ground wire to the electronic brakes....while you are in the field. Once you are able to get it repaired, You can either take it to Valley RV and they can hook a tester into your trailer plug, and it will tell them which wire is messed up. I am thinking that the ground connection on your trailer wiring is corroded/loose, etc. You can also simply disconnect the plug itself from the wiring and check the connections, making sure that you tag each connection so you don't get them mixed up. Hope that helps....
    Thanks for the reply. The trailer is brand new (bought in May). I have used it about 8-10 times. It was fine the day before and then after being parked overnight something went wrong. I replaced the plug to make sure that was not the issue. New plug, same problem. So, last week I did cut the brake wires. All the lights still work (that was my largest concern), so I can still use the trailer on the Hwy. I checked my truck plugs and they are good (hooked up my 5th wheel). The brake controller has no problems, so it must be an issue with the brake wires. Looking under the trailer I can see no issue so far. There is not even any dirt under the trailer yet. Like I said, it is a new trailer. I am going to call the place I bought it from and drop it off for them to look at. It will be covered under warranty. The only hassle is driving it all the way to Anchorage.