Thread: Any .45-70 equivalents to fit a .410/.45 LC chamber?

Default Any .45-70 equivalents to fit a .410/.45 LC chamber?

Greetings all! I have experience with firearms, but mainly just shooting them, and not with the engineering and physics behind design. As such, here is my situation:

I have come into possession of a .410/.45 LC Thunder Five, a shotgun revolver with a cylinder capable of accepting up to 3-inch long cartridges (yes, yes, I know most experts regard it as a silly gun). A version of this revolver comes with an unfluted .45-70 cylinder. The frame for both versions is identical.

Normally the .410/.45 LC version has a fluted cylinder, but my particular weapon is an earlier version with an unfluted cylinder, just like the .45-70, but with untapered chambers for .410/.45 LC.

From what I gather, a .45-70 cartridge is too fat at the back to fit into the .410 cylinder. My question is, knowing this revolver is tough enough to stand up to .45-70, is there an untapered cartridge out there that will fit in the .410 chamber, and can be fired safely? I'd really like to take advantage of that extra power, if I can.

I haven't physically examined any cartridges yet, but some of the ones I was thinking of are .444 Marlin, or .450 Marlin. I have heard second-hand from one person that .454 Casull is probably too hot. I've also heard an instance of someone who reloaded .444 Marlin shells for use with his .410 shotgun, though obviously with shotgun loads. If nothing else, it sounds like .444 would fit, if it isn't too powerful. This forum seems to have a lot of knowledgeable reloaders on it, I'm hoping you guys can offer me some advice! Thoughts?

Default Well.......

If you're set on doing this....You might look at getting some casing for the 460 S&W and working up your own loads.
    Good Luck

Default Don't experiment

What you are asking about is a highway to trouble. You can't just go trying different cartridges in a gun, which I have to tell you is not exactly high quality. You have to use the cartridge the cylinder/chambers were designed to hold. How can you use a cartridge shooting a .458" diameter bullet, the 45-70, through the barrel of a gun designed to shoot the 45 Colt, a cartridge with .452" diameter bullet? A great way to end up with a destroyed gun and maimed flesh because of excessive pressures. That gun was meant to shoot a .410 shell with bird shot, not a slug. Use the cartridges the gun was meant to use. Better yet, get a Ruger or S&W and stay safe.