Thread: Sag / Ivishak Help

Default Sag / Ivishak Help

Does anyone have any experience on the type of boat to hunt from that can be taken up there?

Jon / Zodiac / Length? / Flat bottom / Tunnel Hull / Jet or Prop or only Air

What size motor?

nl years- air boats, jet (flat bottom, zodiak, tunnel)boat50 hp....probably lesss, go-devil 20hp on 18 foot john boat, sport jon boats, and my little 13 footer.
    this year water is very very low. just launching will be a challange. i doubt the normal launch ( mile 49.9)is even usable. the other launch mile 45.5 is technically illegal to launch.....it is not listed in regs as one of the spots you can go more than 1/4 mile from haul road. but they have been allowing that to be used for years.
    if you can launch i think all these will make it.....i'm 90% sure i will be able to. many folks really over load there boats and they will have more problems and get more damage.
    i will be heading that way i one week.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Question

Been down to the 49 mile launch 3 times this week while cruising the road after work, and the Sag is low. Has been like that all summer from what I've been hearing. So the Ivashak is highly-likely, even lower. Good luck...

Default Question

Got a question for you......sent you a PM

Got ahead of myself the question is for swampdonkey.

Default Sag = Low

The Sag is so low, I would recommend you bring along your waders to get across.
    If you want to hunt the river, bring a canoe and float it.
    Running a motor (jet, prop or other) will almost certainly end in a bad way.

Good luck!

Default Air Boats

FYI - I was up this past week (4-10 Aug)... saw a couple of air boats running the river... everything else was simply drifting, or being used to cross the deeper channels.
    That and the Bou are FEW and far between.
    Good luck!

My brother and I just pulled two nice bulls out of the Ivishak with my 14' jon boat and 15 hp Honda with a lift. The water was low, but not impossibly low.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford