Thread: Anyone flickin' Arrows @...

Default Anyone flickin' Arrows @...

Moose now or no?

Just practicing..... Those Ft. Rich moose had better watch out!

Default moose

I know of 3 killed here this morning on the kenai

I'll probably give it a shot. I'm still undecided on whether I have time to try and chase the Talkeetna Mountains caribou that I have a permit for. If I give that a go, I'll be crossing lots of good moose habitat on the way in, so I'll certainly bring my bow along. If not, I'll spend at least two days up in 14A in an area where I took an August (rifle) spike two years ago. Either way, it's going to be fun being in the woods! How about you, gogolie?

Default Well...

I just sighted my bow in today, & I'm trying to haggle my way onto someone's boat, as the Unit 18 Subsistence moose opened up today. Back when I lived in 14, I set out to the KP & hunt, or up around Point MacKinze...no luck. I drew a Ft. Rich winter moose & got my first animal back in '04...no moose since...Hopefully I will be getting one this fall or winter...

Saw moose today, a cow and calf, another cow and calf, and a cow with twins. I know there's a bull involved here somehow.

Default Call 'im out...

& prentend your a cow that in estrus early this year, worth a go...

if one wonders in front of me I always have a couple broadheads in the quiver
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Too freakin' hot. We hit 80* here 15 miles south of Talkeetna yesterday. I have no interest in butchering a moose in this weather. Same story every August...it's probably the most rediculous season in the regulation book.

Talking

Yep, I'm hearing the same thing in other places-too warm! Heard of 2 small moose taken in the "valley area", but slim pickens. It would be nice to have this archery season, oh say, around the first or second week of October. <grin>

I agree that I'd rather see this season move to after the general hunt, but I'm happy to take what I can get. I'm taking my bow out with me today and tomorrow. While it's not the ideal time for finding a bull, if one happens to show itself I sure will be happy that the season is open!

The archery season and the general season need to be moved back in my opinion. I was thinking about the archery guys who were moose hunting when I got sun-burnt on the river yesterday while fishing.

Default just my thoughts

AKDoug--80 isn't hot, we were 107 today in Illinois shooting 3D it doesn't even make 80 at night time I would concur with you, shooting a moose this time of year is no fun

Default Hunting mose in the heat

Well, 80 is hot for here, and if you have ever shot a moose in that temperature, you would know why it is not a fun thing to do.
    First, it is miserable butchering it in the field with bugs. The biting flies, mosquitoes and no-seeums will drive you batty. Secondly, the meat will spoil very quickly if you don't get it cooled rapidly. Ever tried to carry out roughly 900 pounds of meat sometimes for miles before it spoils? Not for the weak-willed and unfit amongst us. Thirdly, the heat intensifies the smell of blood and a dead animal and draws bears to your kill site. Not a pleasant thought when darkness is approaching and you are in the pucker-brush.

Now, some few do luck out and shoot their moose in range of their 4-wheeler or truck, but most don't, so that isn't an option due to terrain up here.

Killing a moose is nothing, and I mean nothing like killing an average whitetail that you can gut and either drag or carry out of the woods whole. No, I will never shoot another moose in this weather again, because I have had the "pleasure" of doing as I said above a couple of times. Moose is too good to let any spoil or lose to a bear........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Amen- Our moose last year was shot at 25F at 7 am and it didn't warm above freezing until after noon. I was done boning out and bagging by 1:00pm and didn't see one fly. Man, what a nice way to go...not to mention it was only 600 feet to the airstrip

Ive been playing cat and moose with a spike fork. Hes been out in a bog both times Ive seen him. I tried ambushing him on saturday night but he was a no show of course. Gonna head out tonight again and hunt for a couple of days. Work is slow right now, so Im gonna take advantage.

I got pretty excited about a young bull earlier today, but upon closer inspection he had 3 points on each side. Still, it was fun to see one.