Thread: Steese Highway

Default Steese Highway

Have any of you out there spent much time hunting Caribou off the Steese? I am looking for a place I can get off the road a ways on ATVs. I know the Caribou are scattered out through the area I am just wondering about access.

Default highway bou

I don't know much about ATV trails, but last year on the way back from Circle, I saw numerous caribou from the road. If we hadn't already shot a caribou each, we could have had a couple with a lot less work. This was in late August, and by then a lot of the 40 mile herd hunting was closed.

Good Luck

Default Central

Go to Central and ask at the store.

The bou are ususally down the road from there. They'll give you an idea of whereabouts and numbers if they are there.

Best of luck.

Frank

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate the help. Have a great hunting season.

Is the circle hunt possible to do with a rifle without a ATV? I'd like to get out for 'bou this year but can't hit the Haul and don't have a ATV or any of those other toys...Sounds like it from the above post, but I was wondering if this was an exception....?

Thanks,

Jon

Default ???

Got back from chicken today-no luck. im headed up towards Circle tommorow.
    I did the same thing last year with no luck, i went out on the trails across from Miller House. I was going to go the same place this year. Any one know if it would be better to go out at Harrison creek or else where? Any caribou sighted up there recently?

Default hike in...

Yes, Jon. They can be had with a hike in, but the odds are against you. Ten years ago they were quite prolific, not the case there now.
    There can also be quite a few atv hunters there, but nothing remotely close to the Taylor situation.

I haven't heard the reports this year, but the last couple of years the bou have stayed in the headwaters of the upper Goodpastor, upper Salcha and Charley area. My personal thoughts are that the 2004 fires changed their seasonal movements, and also that many of the bou killed in the area in prior years were actually resident White Mountain animals rather than 40 mile herd. (I'm not a bio, just my opinion.)

A ride up along 12 mile Summit might yield a bonus bou, or just huff it on in to the Harrison Creek area and bring some good glass.
    A wolf or grizz is aways a possiblity up there.
    Bring a ziplock bag for your blueberry pickin'.
    Best,
    Frank

Default Not Much on the Steese

I was up there yesterday and did not see a thing. From talking to others up there, one person got a young bou, and there was about five people chasing one bull. That was it. My hunting partner talked with some of the miners, and they said they have not seen any this year.

Default Old news

A friend of mine was up on Eagle summit last weekend and saw 5-6 good bulls up there. Of course, no clue where they might be now. I was out in Chicken and talked to the Trooper on the trail there. He is heading out to the Eagle Summit area because the aeiral count showed the Taylor Hwy hunt closing today but there were a good number of animals spotted in the Eagle Summit area (scattered, of course). That count was as of the 11th. Hope it helps and good luck. I've seen 'bou up around Mastadon Dome in the past when hunting grizz.

Fuse