Thread: Hunting from a Zodiac

Default Hunting from a Zodiac

I sold my 10 foot Zodiac Zoom 310S this year and I was looking into buying a new one. Does anyone have any comments on the 11 foot fish and hunt Zodiac? My main objectives with this are lake fly ins, crusising the coast (not in bad weather) and being able to pack it in a plane (185 and larger) with two people and gear. I was also thinking of purchasing a new 5hp or 6hp 4 stroke to use with it. I could say a little weight with the air floor model but the wood floors work really well in my other Zodiac and the wood floor is a little less money. If anyone has experience with the air floors I'd love to hear about them also.

Thanks

http://www.iboats.com/Zodiac-Fish-n-Hunt-11/ib/6649

Sounds like about the right size getup. I've got a 13 footer with 25 hp 2-stroke. It's dandy, but heavy and bulky. Basically Beaver only for flying. Air floors are fine unless or until you get a leak. Take good care of them and carry a good patch kit (including fresh adhesive). A 5 or 6 hp will not come anywhere near planing it, while a 10 will do so if you aren' too loaded. I'd compare weights of a small 4-cycle with a ten or even a 15 2-cycle. You might get a lot more function for no more weight.

On hunts be aware that bears love rubber, especially with deer blood on it. Anchor it off rather than dragging it up on the beach, and always lay a tarp down before putting deer in it. There was a real tear jerker account in the log book at Carrie Inlet on Shuyak about two hunters who used theirs to haul deer. Woops.

Thanks, when I loaded a 8ft 10 inch bear hide and two hunters in the 10 foot Zodiac I use to have I realized that the 5hp was not much engine. I would like to keep my total boat package at less than 150lbs which normally means about 200lbs with some fuel for my trips. So I think I will have to stick to a smaller engine, I could save 8-10 lbs with a two stroke on a 5hp but fuel economy and stealth are a little better with the 4 stoke from my observations. I will have to check the air floor out but I would hate to give up my tables in camp (the 4 piece floor when not in use).

You've been down the road, too. Sounds like an excellent plan with good detailing.