Thread: Cordova Silvers

Default Cordova Silvers

Hi there, First post on the forum. This has been a great place to research a good place to do some fishing in Alaska.

I've searched and read some previous posts about cordova. I'll be there Labor Day weekend. I know the Slough, Alagnak, Eyak have pretty good silver fishing. Any insights to good place to off the road system is appreciated as well.

My question is: Is it worth it to try to find an air taxi for a drop off to a remote fishery nearby for some isolated yet good fishing for a day trip? I've have 5 in my party and want to make it awesome trip.

Thanks for the help

Matt

Sure - there is some real good plane (or helicopter) -accessible fishing. Martin, Katalla, some tribs off the Bering, Montague I., Hinchinbrook I., come to mind. It will depend on what the run is like on each stream at the moment you are there. The pilots will know something since they take people out and back every day. Some of these remote places have people (small lodges or a FS cabin), others not. You could run into nobody one day or 15 germans the next. It varies.

As far as "worth it for a day trip", it's up to you how long to stay, but the cost is going to be the same if you stay for one day or two weeks. A plane for five (beaver) will cost ~$600/hour or so, and count on min 2 hrs flight time for most of these places. Also, if the mainland fish aren't running yet, sometimes the island fish are - so that's a consideration. Finally, weather - in flying around Cordova you could be delayed going out or coming back - for hours, a day, or more. So keep that in mind, watch the weather, make an informed decision, and be prepared.

Thanks for the info Steve, does anyone know of boat taxi's that do drop off's on the Eyak? I've read on the forum that most people use boats there. I've been on the Cordova chamber of commerce page but don't see any boat taxi's listed...

Matt

Matt-

I can highly recommend Steve Ranney, Orca Adventure Lodge and Gayle Ranney of Fishing & Flying. Both are high time pilots and run a top notch operation. The lodge is the old cannery converted which is great and they have a cabin in Katalla.

Tim

There's also few places in, and around town to catch silvers. I was there one summer and all I did after work was fish and fish. There's a small cove right outside of town called Hippie cove which was choked with silvers when I was there.There's also the road out of town with manystreams and sloughs along side of it, that don't look like much,but when it rains the rivers rises and the silvers are everywhere.I believe 11 mile is the name of one of the creeks we use to fish. I would rent a car and head out and stop along the way. You'll probably find that you don't need to go to far out of town to catch fish. We caught fish in small sloughs 15 feet from the highway. I would love to go back in late september again. Have Fun.

Thumbs up Re: Cordova Silvers

Yo Garden Snake!

Ibeck Creek used to be a silty glacial stream. Then theScott River shifted to the east and Ibeck Creek cleared up. Anglers could see there were thousands of coho salmon heading up the valley to the spawning grounds.

There are lots of
    fish and youll have lots of company, but you dont need a boat or chest waders. If you walk a 1/2 mile upstream or downstream, youll get some casting room to yourself.

The run starts in early August and continues into September.
    In the spring when the ice breaks up, Dolly Varden can be found in the deeper pools waiting to ambush salmon smolt heading downstream.

Blizack!

[quote=tdelarm;132631]Matt-

I can highly recommend Steve Ranney, Orca Adventure Lodge and Gayle Ranney of Fishing & Flying. Both are high time pilots and run a top notch operation. The lodge is the old cannery converted which is great and they have a cabin in Katalla.

Ditto

Thanks everyone for the advice. It seems the consensus is to stick the roadside fisheries and that should be more than enough variety and opportunity to crush some fishheads!

So is a boat a must have for fishing the Eyak?

Are there any places worth fishing past the slough on the way towards Million Dollar Bridge? I can't find clear creek on a map but that seems to be mentioned as a decent spot..

Matt

So I'm a week away from Silver fishing in Cordova, anyone heard of how the fishing has been there on the rivers so far?

Matt

Default Cordova Silvers

Not much action yet. Sounds like they are late this year.

Any updates on the silvers around CDV?

Look up Capt. Ron Horton http://www.orcabaycharters.com/map.html He does Hunt and other types of drop offs all of the time. Oh yeah he is a really great guy that knows his stuff. Tell him Mike with KoneZone said Hi!

I was told last night that the Silvers are not real abundant..... yet! But that can change real quick.
    We will be arriving in Cordova on 9/2. Can't wait. We love it there! This will be our 4th trip. You can fish off the roads almost anywhere. Hippie Cove is fun but can be like WWF fishing.
    Have a great time

Was there the end of last week trolling around channel island and salmo pt., got a couple silvers and lots o' rockfish. The Eyak is low, so the fish are either late or waiting for water, had to drag the avon back up through a couple of stretches of river(prop). It will be good in a week or two, oh yeah, pinks up the ying yang.

Been fishing for the hard for the past 3 1/2 days and I have only caught 2 silvers. Fish are not in real hard right now. All the rivers are very low. Have heard that there are fish in the Eyak in the lower streches, but nothing up real high. I have caught both of my fish low on Ibeck Cr. Guess I just got lucky!! Hope rain is in the near future!!

Default Cordova

Heard the water is really really low right now.