Thread: Handloading .308

Default Handloading .308

What is the smallest that would be reasonable to hand load a .308 win. The smallest I can see to buy is only 150 grn. A 30-06 can be bought all the way down to 125 grn. I don't see why you can't go atleast that small on a .308. What is the smallest you guys might suggest you can go with that.

Thanks

You can get 110 grain .30 caliber bullets. Remington also makes a 55 grain Accelerator round for the .308.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

What are you using these loads for? I've loaded 110 gr to 1800 fps for extremely low recoil at the range. For hunting I'd say a 125 gr @ 2500 fps will take any deer at reasonable range.

I am thinking about the new 130gr Barnes TSX for my .308. Shoot flat and fast and should penetrate like a 150gr bullet.

Tim

Arrow Fun loads in 308

I've loaded down to the 110 grain bullets and while they are fun to play with almost no recoil I agree with Paul the 125 grain bullets are as about as low as I would go to hunt with still very little recoil and a fun load it will do well on deer sized game but wouldn't be my pick of a all around do anything load for the 308 but that wasn't your question light loads were.Hope this was of some help...Ronnie

Default OO buck

00 Buck shot slipped into the neck, after resizing, trim the ring of lead off. Not sure what the load is, but it's not much. Performs about like a .22 short, makes short work of rats and such, or so I hear.
    Otherwise, I LOVE the 130 Speer hollow point in a GI case with 45 gr. H4895. Shoots better than you might imagine, and is terrifically destructive on varmints. Do NOT use this if you expect to eat any of the animal, or use the hide!!!

Thumbs up BenchMark / Reloader 10

If you are going to use light bullets 150gr and under in the 308 Win two good powders I would suggest are Benchmark and Reloader 10.
    Alaska

Thumbs up 130 Hp

IMR 3031 also works good with this light bullet in the 308 Win
    Alaska

There are Sierra125 and Speer 130 grain spitzers that I've loaded in the 308. I used to use RL-12 but now we have RL-10x which is a very good powder for the 308 and lighter bullets. I've loaded these down to as low as 2600 fps for the 125 grain Sierra spitzer. This is a very mild load and can be used for deer sized game. This is about as small/light as I would go for deer. The 100-110 grain bullets are light and fast but really just for varmints.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 308

I've experimented with all manner of loads in a custom 308 with 1:12 twist barrel. Bullets much over 150 grains either don't shoot as well or are not well suited to the 308.... at least in the rifle I've tested most. Would be fairly easy to work a load up for a light 110 bullet if that's your desire. But for serious work the 308 seems to do best with bullets in the 150-155 grain range. If your barrel has a faster 1:10 twist then the heavier/longer bullets would likely be stable. All guns are different animals but my current model really likes Varget under either a 150 or 155 (Palma style). The tightest groups have been with a little under max load of Varget with either the 155 Nosler CC or the 155 Lapua Scenar.... both Palma types. For hunting I'd go with any number of the better 150 grainers. The 308 has proven to be an easy cartridge to work up loads for.

Long ago in a land far away I used to load a lot of the Speer 110 HPs at max vel for a couple of heavy barrel 308's. That gaping HP was very accurate and did really ugly things to ground squirrels and prairy dogs.

I experiemented with a bunch of the little "plinker" and RN bullets intended for 30 carbine. You could sure whistle them down the range at blazing velocities, but I never got much accuracy when vel topped about 2200 fps.

When my daughter started hunting she was skeptical of a 243 for deer, but liked the looks of a 308. Got a her a used 788 and she was happy, but hated the recoil. I loaded a bunch of Sierra 125 spitzers at 2500 fps for her. Killed deer like lightning out to 200 yards without excess meat destruction.

I got interested in the bullet at max vel for longish shots at deer. A coyote came along at about 100 yards before I ever got to shoot a deer. Popped it in the left shoulder broadside and literally could not find the right shoulder. Big gaping hole and the right shoulder was simply gone somewhere in the bushes. Needless to say I never shot a deer with it at high vel.

My favorite deer load was a 165 parition over a near max load of 748. You could stack bullets with it in almost any rifle. Recovered bullets usually weighed between 130 and 135 grains.

We got into some trophy deer for a few years in very close quarters (grown over clearcuts) and I ended up shooting 200 grain partitions to minimize meat damage while assuring deep penetration on occasional close Texas heart shots. Worked fine for that, but I got a chance at a deer at about 250 yards, and from looking at the wound channel, I'm not sure I got any expansion at all, but the deer still dropped.

The trouble with hunting with lite weight bullets for deer in areas that have big bear should be obvious.

The fact that higher velocity and lite weight bullets make for more meat destruction, you have to ask why do you hunt for deer if not for the meat?

Remember it's not the weight of the bullet that determines the twist rate that will stabilize a bullet. It is the length of the bullet and velocity.

If it was me loading for the standard .308 WINCHESTER with a 1-10 twist, I would load 180 grain flat base round nose bullets to a velocity of 2000 fps.

I think you would then have a load that has more bases covered than with low weight, high velocity loads.