Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50" Antler Judging Rangefinder from Leupold

Default 50" Antler Judging Rangefinder from Leupold

Hi all,

I received a few of the new Leupold RX-IV Digital Laser Rangefinder Boone & Crockett Edition with "Trophy Scale" from my contact at Leupold Company.

My first test, since I was pretty pumped up about them, was putting two white tape marks on my truck at 50" apart, then walking down the street about 100 yards. When I ranged it, I was at 96 yards and the 50" marks came right up on my marks. I walked in to about 80 yards and it recalculated and the marks came up again on mine. This is pretty cool.

I do believe that a 40-45 inch moose will show up being within the marks no problem and of course anything bigger, say 55 - 60, will show outside.

The only downfall on my first quick test is holding the optics steady. It does come with a tripod screw hole so that is good. I was just standing in the street with nothing to steady on.

Anyway, just wanted to share this with anyone that has interest. These things are spendy, retail in stores about $530.00! Feel free to ask any questions about them and I will try to help you out.

No offense but I wouldn't rely on any mechanical or electrical device to make a determination if a moose is legal or not. What abut when a moose is in the tree's or brush, can it tell what the difference is between a branch and a moose antler?

Default Just another tool!

I here ya! It is just another tool to use. Most moose I get I call in and they come into a nice open field for me!

Default Ifffy at best

Try to find a set of antlers that you can take into the field. Measure them and see if you can set them up in the field behind some alders and then in the clear and see if you get the same readings; I think you'll be surprised at the results. Let us know how you did and you might generate some interest into the scope.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Likely scenario...

"Officer, I SWEAR, it was over 50 inches before I shot. Look here, I was at 180 yards and the antlers were... Officer, look through the scope... Please!"

I'm personally going to give this a few years and see how it works out for others first.

Taylor

Whatever happened to this? I have no heard anything about them

Anyone do some calcs to see what the existing marks on any rangefinder are at different distances and work up a chart?

Do not rely one electronics. If I am correct you have no field experience, I would be very very careful shooting any bull that is right around 50 unless it has browtines period,judging in the field is different then pictures and takes practice...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Do not rely one electronics. If I am correct you have no field experience, I would be very very careful shooting any bull that is right around 50 unless it has browtines period,judging in the field is different then pictures and takes practice...
    Solid, SOLID advice.
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I would not but this is still a helpfull tool.

I have used these and they are a very good tool and alot of fun.
    OK start shooting
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I would not but this is still a helpfull tool.
    Glad to hear it,and I am all for the tools. I have just seen way too many undersized moose shot because of lack of experience in new moose hunters, they are an awe inspiring sight the first time up close and sometimes excitement gets in the way of sound judgement.
    You are on the right track by doing your homework early and I apploud that.....

I would love to play with it! I have some antlers we could set up in the woods

To truly test this device would require some field testing using few sets of antlers in the 49"-51". If the rangefinder can consistently ID the not-quite-legal antlers then I'd say they have something to brag about. As always, no matter the tool or method, if you're not 100 percent sure the bull is legal don't shoot...unless of course HB 318 passes
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    As always, no matter the tool or method, if you're not 100 percent sure the bull is legal don't shoot...unless of course HB 318 passes
    ....or you're just really, REALLY darn hungry.....

Anyone else use this? I might pick one up and test it out, if it is close it seems like a great tool, if it shows 55" you should be in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    To truly test this device would require some field testing using few sets of antlers in the 49"-51".
    That's pretty surprising that a horde of hunters have not come forward to allow field testing of their 49 inch antlers.

As far as I see, the only part to go wrong is the range finder. If you trust the yardage displayed, it should be a good frame of reference. Of course you would be dumb not to allow a margin of error. There aren't any better options as far as I know, all have a margin of error. If the 50" hash marks correspond correctly to the size of the body then it's a fair judgement (in reality that's all anyone is doing with their spotting scope or reticle subtensions, weighing antlers against relative body size). This superimposes a 50" square over the image so YOU can judge and adds in rangefinding to make it more relevant than what else is out there. Expensive but probably the best tool to HELP YOU make an educated judgement.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Anyone else use this? I might pick one up and test it out, if it is close it seems like a great tool, if it shows 55" you should be in great shape.
    Guess you could always take it back if it wasn't as accurate as you'd like.....

if you need a range finder to help you judge a moose if it's legal or not. Then you shouldn't be hunting. I've let more dam moose walk cause I wasn't sure. 100% if your not sure let it walk it a lot cheaper that shooting a sub legal moose.
    A true test would be to use a tape measure and keep backing up till it fails. When you learn to get moose to stand still to get a good measurement let us know how you did it.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

If this rangefinder works, which it definetly will what do you use to judge if a moose is over 50" that is even remotely close to as accurate? You should not be hunting since you are purposely using less accurate methods to judge spread. How can using the most accurate method possible not be the best choice? This rangefinder is no different then scopes used to take 1000 yard shots - making super accurate hash marks is simple math/programing.

In all honesty maybe you are not the best hunter if all the moose you see are moving. I have no problem getting within bow range of many different species of big game animals that are not moving including moose, which sorry to say are far from the most catious critters around!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast