Thread: pixies

Default pixies

im just curious. as far as pixies are concerned do most of you use them? and for what? i do not, ever. i always thought of them as more of a tourist lure. i think i have one in my tackle box and even when im emptying out my box trying to find a lure the fish want, i never try the pixie.

I have used them though for salmon I think spinners seem to work better for me.
    I have had some luck catching pike with pixies and pinks as well.

I am curious about the glo in the dark pixie? I found one once and it sat in my box for several years unused. Then I heard some one say that they worked great so I tried it and lost it on a snag after a very short period of time. Is there any where that I can pick up another to give them a fair shot?

Thumbs up

I've experienced great success with Pixees -- and spoons in general. I think spoons are a lot easier to use than spinners and are particularly deadly on silvers.

When targeting silvers, my first choice in hardware is always a Pixee. It's most effective fished slow, steady and deep. Size doesn't seem to matter much. I like the silver ones with a pink insert.

As far as the rattling version, I haven't used them enough to formulate much of an opinion, but they certainly produce, too.

Tomcat, where do you fish for silvers with pixies? I know I got a nice silver last year at Bird Creek with a pixie but this year you can only get pinks from Bird Creek.

hmmmmmm i always thought pixies were mainly for pinks. i may have to dust that one i have off and give it a toss or two. at least untill i snag it up and loose it then ill put my deadly vibrax back on!

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    im just curious. as far as pixies are concerned do most of you use them? and for what? i do not, ever. i always thought of them as more of a tourist lure. i think i have one in my tackle box and even when im emptying out my box trying to find a lure the fish want, i never try the pixie.
    Ditto. I might have to have one of the boys give it a whirl

Pixies...pink or green...silvers love 'em!!!!

I`ve had good luck with them for silvers too...a bit early for good amounts of silvers in the rivers though.

I've caught Kings on 'em up in the Chena, too.

I typically only use lures in "froggy water" like at Jim Creek and Eklutna Tailrace or during high tide at Ship Creek and Seward.

If there's a good current, I prefer to flip a yarn fly with or without a corky.

I think the key to fishing hardware is to change your lure every 15 minutes or so until you find something that works. Once you strike gold, keep on casting until the magic wears off.

It's been my experience that the same lure rarely produces as well as the previous trip. Got to continually mix things up to keep the fish interested. If most people are fishing a particular color of lure, I like to use a different "flavor" (style and color). Often times, that's a good way to trigger a strike.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post

I am curious about the glo in the dark pixie? I found one once and it sat in my box for several years unused. Then I heard some one say that they worked great so I tried it and lost it on a snag after a very short period of time. Is there any where that I can pick up another to give them a fair shot?

HA! I was at Sheep Creek last weekend. Had to walk my daughter back to the trailer. On the trail I meet this guy walking toward the river. He asks about the fishing, and I replied, "VERY slow..."

A few minutes later I get a call on the radio from my wife at the river -- "Hey, a guy next to me just caught a silver."

When I get back to the river -- yep, it's the guy I'd given the "slow" report to.. His secret? A glow-in-the-dark spoon he'd picked up in Michigan and wanted to try out.

Whatever works!!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

when I was 8 I used nothing but pixees, then I realized all I caught were pinks, definately the most over rated lure in alaska
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I'm thinking of picking up some glow in the dark fishing paint from cabelas or sportsmans if they have it. I was at ship creek last night at 4am, it was really dark and the idea of a glow in the dark accented spoon or attractor above eggs crossed my mind. Since silvers are so voracious I wonder if they'd see it in the dark and hit it. Not to mention I want to paint the tips of my ugly stiks and bobbers with some.

Default X-Mas Time

If you do not catch any fish with them, Pixies make good X-Mas tree ornaments.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Pixies work

And are esp effective in deep tidal water for silvers. As the water shallows up and gets faster switch to spinners, but you can't beat a pixie in deep water because of it's versatility. A lift and flutter action is best with pixies, and like another poster said....fish them slow.

Overrated!? Maybe...

Effective, Definitely.