Thread: surface drive NOT long tailed drive

Default surface drive NOT long tailed drive

Does anyone here have any experience with the new surface drives? I like the idea of sitting down while driving them and they appear to be just as good if not better than a standard go-devil type long tail.

Anyone have any experience with the gatertail, or others?

Default short tail

The surface drive is what alote of people call a short tail. I have a 35hp mudbuddy on my boat in texas. Basically same idea as a long tail, but the short tails are easier to turn and you can go faster because you the motor does not have to turn the long shaft. I have had both and i like the short tails, unless you are going to be jumping alote of beaver runs

I have a prodrive 32 hourse I love it Ive jumped beaver dams and it runs like a outboard but will take you into places that no outboard would ever go.

Default Surface Drives

Quote Originally Posted by fishermann222 View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with the new surface drives? I like the idea of sitting down while driving them and they appear to be just as good if not better than a standard go-devil type long tail.

Anyone have any experience with the gatertail, or others?
    I have a 35 hp GoDevil SD and love it. It's built like a tank, is easy to steer, pushes a big load in my 18 X 48 boat and is surprisingly fast. Even better, it only burns 3 gallons an hour. get with stu in North Pole at
    http://home.gci.net/~godevilalaska/

I've driven all four of the major brands and they are all good motors. I had a Mudbuddy/Gatortrax combo when I lived in Louisiana. If I were going to buy another one it would be the Prodrive 36hp on a Prodrive X-1 boat. That thing is absolutely awesome. The full power reverse is absolutely impossible to beat if you're in the thick stuff. Up here in Cordova we really don't have any thick stuff to be stuck in. Mostly just shallow rivers with sand or rock bottoms. Any of the brands will work for that type of running, but the Pro Drive rock guard is absolutely knarly! Shannon is the dealer for Pro Drive up here. He lives over in Wasilla. He's also a member on here. Let me know if you want his info and I'll get it to you.

another vote for ProDrive...got a 32hp that pushes a 1852 flat bottom great. beaver dams are not a problem

I vote for pro drive. three words FULL POWER REVERSE