Thread: Grouse and Ptarmigain season = open

Talking Grouse and Ptarmigain season = open

Its off to Hatcher Pass for ptarmies jeeze I love bird hunting!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Are there restrictions on where a person can hunt in Hatcher Pass. I admit all I've done there is pick berries with my family. My Son suddenly has an interest in hunting upland game birds and I should capatalize on it... ;-)

As far as I know there aren't however I'm gonna check with the state parks people now... There might be restrictions on firearm use in some areas.

No discharging weapons in Indepenence mine state historical site is the rule and common sense.

Default restrictions

also no discharge of weapons within (I think ) one quarter mile of the roads...that is all I am aware of...also common sense
    Last edited by Burke; 08-10-2007 at 17:47. Reason: note

got 2 grouse today missed the 3rd one I shot at. only fired 3 rounds today so not a bad toll in 2 birds 3 shots.

didn't see a thing in hatcher today

When does the grouse and ptarmigan season open up in the Anchorage GMU, 14c I think? I tried to download the current regs from the Fish & Game website but the PDF wouldn't open.

Default Grouse

I love Grouse season. Got 3 yesterday and 2 today. My boys are really getting into this as well I think they have as much fun retriving them and I do hunting them.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

What shells do you recommend for Ptarmigan? 12 ga. ??

Thumbs up what shells???

.22 long rifle and a scope! <grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default I'm not creative

but I am good shot with a rock. I picked up two with hucking rocks at them (they were on the road) so discharging a gun was out of the question. Mind you, this was a very remote road but I still like to obey the laws. I was riding my quad and happened on nice little covey of them; the chicks had just split from mom & dad I think. YUM! Lowery's and flour..... *slurp*
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Gun Guy View Post
    What shells do you recommend for Ptarmigan? 12 ga. ??
    Until snow flies and they covey up a stick or rock or sling shot are more than enough. Late winter when they are "flighty" a 20ga with #6 shot is a good choice. Personally most of the one's I harvest are taken with a sling shot or bow.

I took my first ruffed grouse on Monday. I had heard that they have lighter flesh, but I didn't realize that they are as light as chicken. Tasty stuff!

As for caliber, I used (and usually use) a .22 pistol, but sometimes I'll break out the .410. When hunting ptarmagin in the winter sometimes I will use a 20 guage with #8 shot for wingshooting, but that much gun is typically overkill.

Default I've never hunted grouse up here!

Just wanting some tips mabey someone to point me in a good direction. My daughter is 7 and wants me to take here hunting, I figure this is a good place to start. I have a 660 grizzly so that should help a little. Anyways any help would be great.

Thanks
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    Just wanting some tips mabey someone to point me in a good direction. My daughter is 7 and wants me to take here hunting, I figure this is a good place to start. I have a 660 grizzly so that should help a little. Anyways any help would be great.

Thanks

Look for areas with a good water source nearby that has varying cover for the birds, new growth forests along meadowed areas usually a good bet. Food source and gravel are also important. Habitat preferred is slightly species dependant but as long as cover water and food are available you should find grouse. Keep in mind we are on the down side of the population cycle just starting back up and last years wet summer/flood are sure to have taken there toil on Young birds so do look for a stellar bird season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    As for caliber, I used (and usually use) a .22 pistol, but sometimes I'll break out the .410. When hunting ptarmagin in the winter sometimes I will use a 20 guage with #8 shot for wingshooting, but that much gun is typically overkill.
    How do you figure a 20g is overkill? A nice little 20, a pocket full of 7 1/2's, a good dog, and I'm in heaven. I use a 20g when hunting upland game. I prefer lighter shot like 7 1/2's for grouse in the thicker stuff, and generally use 6's for ptarmigan.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    When does the grouse and ptarmigan season open up in the Anchorage GMU, 14c I think? I tried to download the current regs from the Fish & Game website but the PDF wouldn't open.
    The day after labor day

Default just asking a little advice

I was wondering if anyone is willing to point me in the right direction for some grouse/ptarmigan hunting at the Hatcher Pass. I've got a 6 year old boy who turns 7 soon and he loves getting out with me; enthusiastic about this stuff. I take him with me hunting on my wheeler on Ft Rich for grouse, but it's getting awfully crowded and I'm looking for more remote areas accessible by truck, walk, or wheeler. I've heard Hatcher's Pass is good, but I've no idea where to park and start. I'm not looking to know anyone's honey-holes, just a good place to take my boy and get away. Any direction help would help. Thanks for the consideration.

C&B,If your going to hunt Hatchers for birds in the fall you need to hunt the Willow side and hunt right after light or right before dark.You'll get very few birds on the Palmer side except for some ptarmigan in the winter near the Mother Load lodge.You will do better hunting trails around Sutton right before dark.I came across a flock of 8 birds to nights ago while scouting for moose.Good luck!!

APM-you need to be 1/4 mile from the road before pulling the trigger in Hatchers.