Thread: Black tail hunting in PWS

Default Black tail hunting in PWS

I am planning a trip this weekend for blacktail...I know most folks are prepping for moose but I am a new hunter in the region and am looking for suggestions. Thinking about Perry Island. Any ideas, suggestions or imput would be much appreciated.
    Shane

Perry gets hit pretty hard, as it is the closest of the islands that holds a decent number of deer. That being said, it is early in the season so there shouldn't be much pressure. This time of year the bucks tend to be high. Head as high as you can, but move very slowly, as you never know when one will come walking into view. Good luck!

-Brian

thanks for the heads up...can use all the help I can get.
    Shane

hunt high, bring good optics, good luck
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Perry

I've been all over Perry like nobody's business. It's easy to get up high. you can anchor up in East Twin Bay. Just watch the rocks at the head of the bay. There are at least two high peaks where you can do serious glassing. At least one of the has a tri station on it.
    I don't know what the deer pops are like. It was a long time ago when I was there.
    We only saw one deer. We killed it.

Default Bug nets!

Two of us were out there last week for the opener and the weather was actually too nice. It was hot, sunny and dead calm. Just perfect for the whitesocks to drive you nuts. We didn't do too well hunting as the little buggers would start chomping on you as soon as you stopped to glass. Pray for some cooler weather and a good breeze while out there.
    Also, the silvers are in and the butt fishing is pretty good over on the SW side of the Is.
    Good luck and report back w/your adventure!
    BK

Default Whew

Well, we made it out to Perry with no problem. Once there the tides changed, literally. We ran in to some problems with the tides and our boat. I know now that I have much too learn about the ocean.

Wehn we arrived we tried a system of mooring our boat using a pulley system that would have worked had we had a different rope. Too make it short, the boat was beached by 20 feet and my concerns quickly changed from hunting to making sure the boat was safe.

In the long run it all worked out, but no deer were taken, but we are not detered. I will be back and hopefully successful in the near future.

We did manage to pick up some silvers on the trip back in to Whittier.

Thank again to all that posted with helpful info. I look forward to more of your advise.

Shane