Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The good, bad and ugly trip...

Default The good, bad and ugly trip...

Just got back from my Alaska trip and it was a nice trip. I saw some great charter work and some shady charter service.

Thanks Ben for recommending White Bear Charter, absolute 5*. The captain worked hard to put us on fishes. We hit some huge lings.. spend time looking for giant butts.. settled for 30-60lbers.. fun!!

That was the good, then came the ugly.. our next charter was out of Homer. ******* was recommended to us by another fishing member but we were disappointed in the fishing and effort. After making our reservation 6 months ahead of time, and receiving confirmation a month earlier; when I got there we found out we were bumped from our date. It appear that we were bumped because someone else booked the whole boat. The excuse was a misunderstanding. I thought so too until I found out that the group that went out that day chartered the whole boat. Instead of asking us if we mind changing date (which would;ve been ok), we were bascially told "oops.. too bad.. I'm fully booked that day".
    Went out one day for combo and spent about 1.5-2 hours salmon fishing then halibut fishing. Silver slow... halibut were mainly chickens.. 8-15lbs.. maybe 1 35lb.. but obviously it was a chicken hole then back to ramp..

Following trip.. small craft advisory (wind and swell).. expressed concerns.. but was told it should be ok if we left earlier than usual.
    Bumpy ride all the way out.. about 2 hr ride... then fished for about 2 hours for butt until it was deemed too rough.. so went back in to the bay and chase 1-2 fish around the rest of the day. Only caught 1 fish that day.. should not have gone out in my opinion. Poor judgement to go out in such bad weather.

The whole process left a sour taste in my mouth. One captain was busting his butt while it seems like the other did what he needed to do to take money without much effort to produce fish and was waiting for 4pm to come to call it a day. The one captain that busted his butt was not concern about the time and wanted to kull through smaller butts for larger ones. at 5pm.. the ride back was over 2 hrs!

I guess if I had not experience a trip with a great captain, I would've thought that AK fishing was horrible based on my trip with the other captain. Other may have different experiences, but this was mines.

Fished Willow creek and it was fun combat fishing until an older fellow started to cast 10 yards to his left to snag my line then point out that I was too close. I was at least 10 yards away from him and if anyone ever fished there.. sometimes u are like 2-3 feet from each other. I guess he wanted 20 yards to the left so he can fish, ironically he is about 5 feet away from the angler to his right. My only rude experience while combat fishing. Other than have a few guys squeezed into our fishing whole once we started to hook up. River and creek fishing was ok, would find more secluded places next time.

Fished for silvers in anchorage and caught a ton of pink. Best part was that there were very few people fishing the culvert, so that was a nice change.

Need to plan things out better next time, but all I can say is fishing in Seward beated Homer big time in my opinion!
    Last edited by AKmud; 08-09-2007 at 21:47. Reason: Edit charter name out - no flame rule

I am glad you had a great experience with Dave and his son with White Bear Charters. I may have been the one to send you that way, I know I suggested him to someone from the board a while ago. Dave is top knotch and works his tail off to get fish, and when he doesn't he takes personally. 30 -60 lbers is a great day on any halibut boat. I was in Homer last weekend and saw a bunch in the 15 to 20 lb range getting hung on a couple of hanging posts. I had a person go out of Anchor PT yesterday with a good charter and they moved 5 times before they got out of the Spiny Dogs and found some chickens.
    Anyways, I am glad you had a great time and I will pass this on to Dave, I teach with him at the high school! Plus he keeps my cars running!!!!

hehe.. u teach with him? We went fishing with two of his other teaching buddies, you didn;t happen to be one of them last week were you?

Yeah.. I will go back to him the next time i go to alaska.. I was just so disappointed with the other charter that it kinda ruin a great vacation. I know fishing is unpredictable, however, we were told that in Aug limits of silvers and halibut were common.. but we caught 0 silver and 1 halibut in two trip.. very very disappointed.. We should;ve cancelled and went with Dave again instead.

Nope, wasn't me, wish it was, I have been busy on the Kenai. Do you remember who it was?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Nope, wasn't me, wish it was, I have been busy on the Kenai. Do you remember who it was?
    It was Mike and i forgot the other's name.. they all work at the school.

Mike Woods, I will have to give him a call and see who else went, it wasn't Matt was it?? A Japanese Hawaiian dude?

Mike Woods, I will have to give him a call and see who else went, it wasn't Matt was it?? A Japanese Hawaiian dude?
    No.. a white guy.. with a mustache

funny thing was a few days later.. we ran into mike at the harbor in homer.. said hi then we embarked on a bad fishing trip... sad...

Older, maybe Jim, walk with a limp? Heck doesn't much matter. Mike is a great guy and one of the best teachers in the district, I was lucky enough to student teach with him when he was runner-up for Alaska Teacher of the Year. He actually came pretty close to dying this spring with a infection they couldn't get a handle on, he is still tires real easy.

I was also very dissapointed with my captain at ***** charters in Homer.. Since I had fished Halibut before I knew what I was looking for. I had used ***** a few yrs ago (different captain). Think since I was the only girl he thought I didn't know much. I'm no dummy, I have been reading this forum! We were stuck on a chicken hole & since everyone was catching fish he would't move. I was really told off when I called them chickens. He said we had to start keeping the fish by 11:00 because he wanted to get in between 1 & 4. He had to get up in the morning and do this all over again,(his words) Since I was the hold up & the guys could not fish I thought I better give in. They were going on another charter out of Ninilcek anyway. As it was I ended up with 19# of fillets, and not a happy camper. My husband had a very good experience on a combo with Erik Clock out of Seward. Was out almost 12 hrs 5 kinds of fish. Homer is out next yr. Too expensive going there for 2 nights from our rental in Peters Creek, especially when it was not fun. We do enjoy the Salty Dawg though.
    Last edited by AKmud; 08-09-2007 at 22:41. Reason: Again...no flaming (or naming)

Older, maybe Jim, walk with a limp? Heck doesn't much matter. Mike is a great guy and one of the best teachers in the district, I was lucky enough to student teach with him when he was runner-up for Alaska Teacher of the Year. He actually came pretty close to dying this spring with a infection they couldn't get a handle on, he is still tires real easy.
    Yeah.. he's a bigger guy.. he kept telling us to reel.. he missed about half a dozen bites... but we got him to reel a decent one in at the end lol..
    it might've been jim.. no limp.. skinny guy with a mustache..
    jerry.. i think it started with a J.. great guys... the ride was a bit long.. but i would take a school of 25-60lber over 8-15lb anyday!

Quote Originally Posted by fishergirl View Post
    I was also very dissapointed with my captain at ***** charters in Homer.. Since I had fished Halibut before I knew what I was looking for. I had used ***** a few yrs ago (different captain). Think since I was the only girl he thought I didn't know much. I'm no dummy, I have been reading this forum! We were stuck on a chicken hole & since everyone was catching fish he would't move. I was really told off when I called them chickens. He said we had to start keeping the fish by 11:00 because he wanted to get in between 1 & 4. He had to get up in the morning and do this all over again,(his words) Since I was the hold up & the guys could not fish I thought I better give in. They were going on another charter out of Ninilcek anyway. As it was I ended up with 19# of fillets, and not a happy camper. My husband had a very good experience on a combo with Erik Clock out of Seward. Was out almost 12 hrs 5 kinds of fish. Homer is out next yr. Too expensive going there for 2 nights from our rental in Peters Creek, especially when it was not fun. We do enjoy the Salty Dawg though.
    Hey fishgirl.. i feel u... between me and my buddy.. we only got 1 fish on our second trip with that guide.. i couldn;t believe that no effort to even get us our chicken limits.. i looked into eric clock as well but he didn;t have room for our day.. on the phone. the charter out of homer said he puts customers on fish.. stay out until people catched fish.. blah..blah... nice guy... but poor ethics.. i was really pissed when i was told that my confirmed date was actually changed by him cause he had a full charter that day.. so he bumped us.. very sad... i heard homer fishing was great.. but if half of the fishes u catch are 5-10lbers... it's sad..

Hi AK,

Sorry didn't knwo about the no flame rule. But I was hoping to help others out. If I would;ve known that ******* was the way it was.. i would not have signed on with them. Now I just want to warn the next person from falling into my footstep. You would've been very p-off if you were in my shoe.

Folks please remember the "no flame" rule. If you have a good experience with a company please by all means brag on them. If you have a poor experience, please don't advertise their name. You are more than welcome to pass on information about bad service through PM's, but please don't do it on the open forums.

Thanks!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

which charter was this? shoot me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Hi AK,

Sorry didn't knwo about the no flame rule. But I was hoping to help others out. If I would;ve known that ******* was the way it was.. i would not have signed on with them. Now I just want to warn the next person from falling into my footstep. You would've been very p-off if you were in my shoe.
    I understand the intent, but we can't confirm who actually had a bad experience or if the poster is simply a competitor attempting to tarnish the name of another business.

We'd rather stay out of the badmouthing in public business.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Sorry, I'll remember that for next yr AK. Of course then I may be bragging about my trip. We can only hope!

Default keep in mind

Greatdane,
    I understand there are some less than average charters out there, but it may not entirely been his fault. While I fully agree it was B.S. for him to push your date back & go out if it was to rough. That said if he told you it was marginal weather I may have opted to postpone or even cancel the trip. (I wouldn't go out in a small craft advisory to fish) Infact when he pushed the date back I would have canceled at that point demanded your $ back because that is just wrong. If he operates this way he won't operate for long.
    The main thing I want to express is no matter who the charter co is there are some days where you just don't get the fish. I had out of state family that came up in July & we chartered to montague. The water was great but we just couldn't get the fish. Three people ended up with 4 halibut around 20 lbs. The guide was good & worked hard, just couldn't get the fish to bite. With the increase in amount of charters, personal boats, & commercail fishing the numbers aren't always going to be there. The % are in your favor but there will always be some bad days.

I understand that fishing is fishing.. and not catching.. but to bump my day for a larger group and act dumb was pitiful. Since I found out the day before what i thought was my charter it was too late to find another.. so instead of spoiling my trip I stuck with the new date. He knew th weather would be too rough, should;ve offered to stay in instead of going out and rocking then going back in for some salmon trolling. He was chasing 1-2 fish instead of actually trying to find bait fish or larger schools of fish..
    kept on watching the watch and when 3:30 came around.. "Ok.. let's pack it up and head on in" that too me was not working hard. I asked a few questions regarding how come we are not trying to find fish or how come we are not going to spots u'd mentioned that you'd done well in the pass.. the response was.. "well... it's 17 miles away..."

I could see no passion or pride for putting customer on fish.. the other captain busted his butt.. and had a sweet honey whole for what he calls small ones( decent size in my book).. this guy had no spot to fall back on... Lesson learned...

My wife and I had a good experence out of Seward this past July. We were recommended Cracker Jack Charters and since it was my wife's first fishing trip I decided to go easy on her and do a half day.

At the end of the trip one on the boat had 4. Me two, others 1, and my wife none.

It was getting time to go in and he suggested that we could also stay and fish a bit longer and he could filet on boat instead of taking the normal pics at the harbor. We all agreed and my wife landed 3 fish (2 sivers and 1 black cod)in that hour.

Thanks!!!

On another note... I know about the name on the bad posts, but what if we had some sort of on going poll about which the best charters were! There is no reason board members should happen upon a bad charter just because we can't mention names here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast