Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expert forum

Default Expert forum

It seems like every time someone starts an interesting thread we get 2 or 3 KNOW IT ALL's that change it into a debate. We need a special section for the EXPERTS to battle it out and let the people that want to get/pass some fishing info enjoy the forum. That Kenai Sockeye count thread is ridiculous.

Default I know

Tell me about it - I try to find out about the color of my king salmon meat, and next thing you know people are debating over where white kings spawn, and bashing me for un ethical fishing practices. I wont get dragged into one of those stupid debates as much as I want to fire back sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Tell me about it - I try to find out about the color of my king salmon meat, and next thing you know people are debating over where white kings spawn, and bashing me for un ethical fishing practices. I wont get dragged into one of those stupid debates as much as I want to fire back sometimes.
    Out of the first 12 posts in that king salmon meat thread, SIX of them were answers to your initial questions 'are they good enough to eat, and what's the recipe for blackened salmon'.

Your conscious ADMITTED that what you did was unethical, you 'felt bad' about cutting a fish open just to check it's meat. It's wasn't bashing, it's not a debate, your own conscious told you it wasn't the right thing to do. If people confirming your conscious by saying 'yeah, that's a little messed up' is going make you feel victimized, well, all I can say is if the shoe fits...

And to the OP, I'm glad this forum for the most part is a civilized, controlled enviroment where some know how to keep their tempers and language in check. That sockeye count is a silly thread, but no more silly than starting another thread complaining about it.

No need for anyone to ruffle their feathers over this stuff, I don't mean to sound pretentious but I fail to see any victims here.

Some people just can't help themselves... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't even wanna make opinions when there's a thread full of 'Experts' bashing at each other and at everybody. All I hear is bla bla bla... They never say anything positive about fishing.
    And some guys are just too rude.

You know no one is forcing anyone to read threads.....

Unhappy Whaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    You know no one is forcing anyone to read threads.....

NORTH2AK:

You can always turn the channel!

One thing Alaskans are known for is their independance and they are not afraid to speak up!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

[quote=AKBassking;131884]NORTH2AK:

You can always turn the channel!

Or as the great orator Mike Tyson might say (in an annoying high pitched Mike Tyson voice) "If you don't like it turn off your station"

Default trying to help

I guess this thread is directed at myself and others who get into these debates. Maybe I can offer my perspective so people can understand my participation.

UCI fisheries are very complex and there is misinformation, misunderstanding, lack of knowledge on where to find information, confusing data, complex fishery management plans, and a host of other things that make UCI hard to understand. These all come together at regulatory meetings, in user group positioning, in resource protection decisions (DNR on hydrocarbons), community goal setting and priorities, and other processes. It is an area where fish issues can cause family problems as well as community problems.

I have always believed that good data and information in the hands of citizens will eventually lead to good decisions. The road may be ugly getting there but in the end we will get there.

So while some on this forum are interested in just fishing others are watching and reading and evaluating. When information is not correct in my opinion I think it should be pointed out. When people have questions about data I think I and others should try to provide it to the readers of this forum if we know where to get it.

The purpose is not to be a know it all. If that was the case I and others could just keep it to ourselves and not risk the response we sometimes get on this forum. Rather we put it out there and yes frustration sometimes gets us in trouble when comments come back that are showing the writer is not trying to understand. However, the hope is that when one communicates with others the other parties get a better understanding of the fisheries and issues because people on this forum have a better understanding.

Sorry if this causes problems but with all the other threads having a few that deal with these intense subjects seems reasonable. I notice that the number of hits on these threads is very high so someone else is reading them.

Default Freedom of speech

Hey, the three intellects might be EXTREMELY boring to the rest of us fishermen, but it's a free country for now, and I'm glad. Their discussions are way above my head and I'm educated AND obsessed with fishing. I try to stay out because those discussions are too in depth for me, but it's great that they are so passionate about it.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Zissou

Zissou
    I know what i did made me feel bad but I was just saying - look how a thread about kings meat color turned into people slammin me a bit, and also debating over white king spawning grounds. Chill man.

Oh god! Am I now involved in a debate? Noooooo!!!!

Yeah I know what you mean. Kinda nature of the beast. I lurk on a few forums and in one thread about the movie 300, it evolved from a 'yeah! that movie was awesome! I want to go yell at something!' into a discussion regarding how hitler loved the spartans and that's why everyone was white in the movie, or how this part or that part was inaccurate and that it should be banned. It's like, whoa, what happened to suspending disbelief and simply enjoying an action movie for what it is?

Or how about some nerds trying to find out the specifics of the deathstar. 'In the first movie, it can only fire once every 24hours, but in the third, it can fire once every few minutes! That's a 2000% increase in power, how is that even possible!'

lol it's funny, really. I'm glad there's people out there who care about that sort of stuff more than I do.

Hold On! Hold On! Lets not forget that the Death Star was COPLETELY rebuilt before the improvements in it's firing capabilities

Hey, I enjoyed reading the Kenai Sockeye salmon thread. The discussion had a lot of good information, and I can respect everyone's point of view. I have a better understanding of the UCI fishery management. It was also very entertaining to read.

Default Deathstar Debate?

I am too busy trying to destroy "The Empire", practice with my fly saber, and learning to speak wookie. I barely have time to my post a fishing report.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default TSS

THAT photo is toooo funny brutha!! Caught me off guard. A true member of the KISS Army, eh???

Default Jedi

Ever since you started using that picture, I laugh a little longer. Keep up the good work of evening out all heat with the fun stuff, by the way, how do you say fish on in wookie?

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Ever since you started using that picture, I laugh a little longer. Keep up the good work of evening out all heat with the fun stuff, by the way, how do you say fish on in wookie?
    ARRRRRHHHH!!

TSS

Default Catches more Salmon!

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    THAT photo is toooo funny brutha!! Caught me off guard. A true member of the KISS Army, eh???

The transformation allows me to catch more salmon for some reason? You should see my Gene Simmons

TSS

Just like anything else you must weed through the junk and dig out the facts.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast