Thread: Glacier Campground Valdez ?

Default Glacier Campground Valdez ?

Anyone know the number for the Glacier campground in Valdez? I called the Allison Point Campground and it said that the Glacier campground is now run by the military? If anyone happens to know the cost and anything about the facility that would be great too.
    Thanks,
    Greg

Valdez Glacier MWR Campground

94 Standard R Campsites
    14 Pull Thru Campsites

BBQ Grills - Picnic Tables - Covered Pavilion - Day Use Area - 6 Outhouses

$10 Campsite,
    $25 Campsite w/pop-up on-site.

Open to the Public!

Valdez Glacier Campground has 108 wooded campsites and is located at the base of the Chugach Mountains beneath the famous Valdez Glacier. The Glacier run-off provides a beautiful waterfall that cascades into a crystal clear creek. There are a pair of nesting bald eagles on-site!

No reservations required except for pop-ups.

Call Fort Greely MWR for information and availability 907 873-4058.

For details, go to:
    http://www.usarak.army.mil/framwr/whatshot.htm

Default Thanks Tomcat

That was exactly the info I was looking for!

As of 8/14/2011, the phone number is 907-803-3695 and they're not taking reservations. Everything is first come, first served. Beautiful place to camp....

Was just there last week, had a blast we even caught Valdez with two days of sun and no rain. It was a great place to stay and we will be back next year if not this year again

One of the nicest campgounds in the state. It's so nice that the wildlife loves it too. Had a black bear climb in the back of the truck while I was sleping in the cab. That was one heck of an alarm clock! I still love this place

Sounds a lot nicer than camping at Allison point or in town. Thanks for the info.

A couple things:
    - I got a "page can't be displayed" when clicking on the link in your post. I don't know if it's a broken link or if it's just my browser. Here's a link with some information, although it's not the official site (if there is one!).
    - The Valdez city web site says tent sites at Glacier are $20 public / $10 military and RV pads are $35/25.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Valdez Glacier MWR Campground

$10 Campsite,
    $25 Campsite w/pop-up on-site.

Open to the Public!

For details, go to:
    http://www.usarak.army.mil/framwr/whatshot.htm

$10 military, $15 for public.

I would recommend keeping a clean camp. We had a bear climb up in our boat two seperate nights while camping there. There wasn't any bait or anything on the boat. Luckily no damage was done.

Oh, and military rules say no firearms.

We stayed there over the weekend of 6 and 7 Aug. Definately a wildlife friendly place. I was awaken at 2:30 by the sound of a cooler being dragged out from under our trailer. (I wedged it in on purpose) I looked out the window to see the face of a huge sow black bear about 18 inches on the other side cupping the cooler and dragging it out. I later realized the kids didn't eat all the smore stuff as she carefully opened the cooler with out breaking any hinges or latches and proceeded to pull out a bag of marshmellows and graham crackers and took them by the fire pit and started to eat. We yelled at her and she just looked at us like "hey where are the toad stickers and the fire!" Needless to say she got her fill and then her second year cub came at 7:30 and tried to take the cooler altogether. I chased him out of the site and put the cooler in the back of my truck. By then it was time to start packing for home as we were leaving that day.
    All in all the camp ground was nice but the bears have no fear of humans and someone is going to get mauled or killed by those two.