Thread: Fairbanks meat processor ?

Default Fairbanks meat processor ?

I'm looking for some recommendations for a processor to use in the fairbanks area. I would greatly appreciate some recommendations and is there any to stay away from as well. I'm sure that quite a few people would be interested in this type of info. 3 weeks to go Thanks again to all that have helped share info and wisdom that has aided us in preparing for our first Alaskan adventure. Everyone has been alot of help and I greatly appreciate it.

Tom

Default Fairbanks butchers

You are going to get a wide variety of opinions on this one. I will tell you who I use, you can read between the lines to figure out who I don't. I have had enough contact with and/or feedback on the others to stay away. I have cut my own for years, and while not professional by a long shot, know pretty much what is what on an animal. Sometimes I just don't have time to do it all myself.
    First off BY Farms out on the Rich Hwy has been great over the years. Bob and Brett typically do good work and take pride in their work. They do some specialty items in house, and some they take to Anchorage. Brett really does a mean smoked bear ham that is to die for. They get so busy they have to use big freezer trailers. I have seen some pretty awful looking meat brought into them, and if I had one critisicm it would be that they don't tell hunters to take their spoiled, dirty, rotten stuff elsewhere.
    But, I can't tell that the bad stuff has ever affected my product.
    Second, I use Delta Meats. Good, clean, professionally run outfit. Take your meat to them, they will deliver it boxed back to FBKS one day a week. Prices are competitive last I looked. They do all their own specialty meats in house. Seems to be a little expensive on the vacuum packing, so I do that myself. THey do have a website.

Thumbs up Delta...

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I'm looking for some recommendations for a processor to use in the fairbanks area. I would greatly appreciate some recommendations and is there any to stay away from as well. I'm sure that quite a few people would be interested in this type of info. 3 weeks to go Thanks again to all that have helped share info and wisdom that has aided us in preparing for our first Alaskan adventure. Everyone has been alot of help and I greatly appreciate it.

Tom
    ...meat and sausage for sure...big thumbs up. They will pick up and deliver your meat from FBKS. Competitive prices and a good product. I would stay AWAY from *********...unless you want to get back poorly packaged bloody meat that you can't even be sure is yours...unless my friends and I have just caught them on SEVERAL bad days.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 08-09-2007 at 19:29. Reason: posting negative info with business names... forum rule violation

Default delta meat and sausage

they are by far the best and they are the only USDA butcher shop in the Interior. Interior processors has also done a good job on my meat, especially sausage and they have a quick turn around for meat usually half the time they tell you.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 08-09-2007 at 19:40.

I've used Delta Meat and Sausage a couple of times with very good results. If you have the time to drive out there and drop off your meat, it would be well worth it.

Default Santas/Interior Fish

I think they are good and produce a good product.

I have taken a bear to santa's smokehouse and they did a good job. the next year I took my moose to B-Y farms because they were the only place open and could take my meat to (I tried to call delta and they said they were full)......Let's say, I would never let B-Y touch my meat again and my meat was clean when I dropped it off. Last year I was able to get my moose into Delta.....I Highly recommend delta, but call there before making the drive down there. They are a little expensive, but it is well worth it.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 08-09-2007 at 19:40.

Thumbs up Delta all the way

Delta Meat and Sausage on the other hand has always been great. I have used them since they opened years ago for everything from my 4-H steers to every moose, caribou etc. I have gotten since then. They always do a great job from custom cuts of meat and packaging to there amazing snack sticks and smokie dogs.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 08-09-2007 at 19:37. Reason: my horrible spelling skills

Delta and the smokehouse for me.Delta does my pepper stick best I have had with good service pick and delivery.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 08-09-2007 at 19:39.

Default edited/deleted posts

There were a couple of posts edited or deleted due to the posting of local processors in a negative way. Its important to know the good ones from the bad ones, but please use the private message system to do so.

Some may or may not have gone out of business, we are erring on the side of caution.

The liability issues are always a concern. Thanks guys.

Frank

Thumbs up Make the short drive

Delta Meats for sure ...and get some sausage made!

I always take mine to McPeak's on Badger Road. They've always done an excellent job and the pepperonis, keilbasas, summer sausage and breakfast sausage are awesome. I usually do my own burger grinding.

Only problem is they have a restricted schedule of when they'll accept meat for specialty processing.
    Now what ?

Smile Woops...

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    There were a couple of posts edited or deleted due to the posting of local processors in a negative way. Its important to know the good ones from the bad ones, but please use the private message system to do so.

Some may or may not have gone out of business, we are erring on the side of caution.

The liability issues are always a concern. Thanks guys.

Frank
    Sorry about that...got a wee bit carried away there!

Default it was in the Newspaper

The by farms closure was in the newspaper, they are attempting to organize a co-op buyout but they are closed, try calling them before you edit my posts. there was nothing nasty in my post about BY farms, I could have said a lot more, but i didn't in an attempt to be kind. I try to be very open minded and fair, read some of my other posts. That edit was uncalled for

Default Delta Meat and Sausage

I have used Delta Meat and Sausage for the last 10 years. They have always done an excellent job on my meat and specialty items. They are getting busier and busier every year and it is getting harder to get your meat in before they get full. This year may be especially bad due to the large antlerless moose hunts in Oct/Nov. Better call and make an appointment to drop your meat off early. They will pick-up as well as deliver your processed meat to the North Pole/Fairbanks area.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I always take mine to McPeak's on Badger Road. They've always done an excellent job and the pepperonis, keilbasas, summer sausage and breakfast sausage are awesome. I usually do my own burger grinding.

Only problem is they have a restricted schedule of when they'll accept meat for specialty processing.
    Really? You could bring your meat to McPeaks? If you don't mind me asking, what kinds of restricted schedules are you talking about? Will they only do so many people in a hunting season? Will they only take certain meat?
    Curious for my own FYI (because they are just so incredibly close... almost walking distance!).
    Thanks!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Really? You could bring your meat to McPeaks? If you don't mind me asking, what kinds of restricted schedules are you talking about? Will they only do so many people in a hunting season? Will they only take certain meat?
    Curious for my own FYI (because they are just so incredibly close... almost walking distance!).
    Thanks!
    Yup, you can take it to McPeak's. I started taking game meat (my first caribou) to them back in '90 and been doing it ever since.

I even got my gf's family shipping some up from their village to get processed into sausages and pepperoni sticks for the holidays.

They came were highly recommended by friends and guys I worked with on Ft. Wainwright back in the day. I tried some peopperoni sticks made by them from a black bear my company commander whacked. I was sold then and there.

Last year and the year before they didn't start accepting meat until late Oct or Nov. Not a big deal for me because I can store it in my Fairbanks freezer until they're ready to take it. You may have to call and ask when they accept game meat.

I think their scheduling has more to do with dedicating blocks time and resources to processing outside their store inventory than it does the number of people.

They accept all big game meat.

BTW, if you get summer sausages made make sure that you vacuum pack or at least put the sausages in ziplock freezer bags before freezing them as they will dry out through the casings in the drier climate up there if you don't.
    Now what ?