Thread: Grouse Guide Wanted (Day Trip)

Default Grouse Guide Wanted (Day Trip)

I'd sure like to bring my Bourbonnais (pointing breed) with me on my Alaska trip to do a little grouse hunting. But she's not going because I'd never forgive myself if she didn't survive all the flights and all the flight time. (Going up there it will be Dallas-Denver-ANC-Dutch Harbor). Yes, I know there are no grouse on Unalaska but after I leave there I'll be going back to the mainland for four or five days to fish for trout, salmon, etc. I'd also like to spend one day going after sharptails or ruffed grouse (I've never been grouse hunting). Does anyone know of a good day guide who's got one or more decent dogs (either pointing or flushing)? All I can find are package deals where they charge a fortune to stay at a some fancy lodge. I'm willing to go several hundred miles from Anchorage if that's what it takes.... I've read a few articles about fair to good ruffed hunting in the Fairbanks area. But it seems sharptail numbers are way down in areas of Alaska that have those birds (Delta Junction, etc).

If anyone is interested, Bourbonnais kind of look like half Brittany/half GSH. They're hard working and extremely intelligent dogs. Most are great natural retrievers too. You can see pics of them by doing a search for "Bourbonnias images" on yahoo. I've never owned anything but pointers until I got my Bourbonnais two years ago. Now I can't imagine ever owning any other pointing breed.

Anyway, any feedback would be very much appreciated. Tom

Unalaska has ptarmigan doesn't it? You might try hunting them there, just a thought. Good luck!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Grouse

Monkey,

Yes, I read Unalaska does have ptarmigan. But I'm not all that interested in hunting ptarmigan and hunting behind a good dog makes it 10 times more fun for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt any Unalaska guide offers bird hunts behind a well-trained dog or two.

Seems like sharptail numbers are pretty low so maybe I should just pass on them.... And as far as ruffs go, seems like I need to hunt around Fairbanks for the best chance to bag a bird or two. Do you hunt sharptails or ruffs very much? How are the populations looking this year in your opinion? Any guidance at all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Unalaska has ptarmigan doesn't it? You might try hunting them there, just a thought. Good luck!

Last season there was a guy who was on the cover of www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com who had a dog and was always looking for someone to go upland hunting with and split plane charters. You might contact the webmaster there to see if he still has the guys information (the guys name was Bob Bird I believe). He might be able to help you out. Also you might check with some of the gun dog clubs around AK see if they know anything. And maybe someone who knows more than me will chime in. Good luck!

Monkey,

If your in FBX area I'll take out... no charge. Just split the gas, I have a few good spots to go, but I'm not a guide, just a guy with some dogs who likes to hunt. Fall is in the air up here and I can't wait to get out.

Default Grouse Hunt

byrd_hntr, It was me who was looking for a hunt. I'll send you a private message. Thanks, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Monkey,

If your in FBX area I'll take out... no charge. Just split the gas, I have a few good spots to go, but I'm not a guide, just a guy with some dogs who likes to hunt. Fall is in the air up here and I can't wait to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Monkey,

Next time I'm in the FBX area I'll look you up I've always wanted to hunt behind dogs! Used to watch "Hunting With Hank" every week, loved that show decided thats what I needed to do sometime

Tom,
    I live here in fairbanks and would also be more than happy to take you out for a days hunt. I know I can't find enough excuses to go out. I've also got a good lab. He's much more suited for waterfowl, but he does allright for flushing. I may not have quite the hot spots a guide might have, but I do my fair share of shooting.

-Eric

Default bring the dog

You are heading to Dutch but don't say what you are after. If at all possible I would make inquiries into bringing the dog. Hunting ptarmigan with your dog in open country would be a ball and well worth the effort. I have shipped my dogs as far as Michigan to hunt pheasant and watefowl and would not hesitate to do so again.
    Ptarmigan sometimes won't play fair for a pointer and keep moving, but you should have lots of chances to see birds, get good points, maybe a few shots, and maybe even a good photo or two.
    I am hoping my brother in law brings his english setter with him the next time he comes hunting. If he does, we will ignore any animals on 4 feet and stick to the birds.
    Or, use this first trip as a scouting expedition and an excuse to come back again.

Default Cold Bay

Check it out http://www.coldbayalaska.com/hunting.htm

I have been going there sence i was 10 and i have never seen so many ptarmigan in my life. the goose and duck hunting is one of a kind also. it is little over a 2hr plane ride. if u go take about 5 boxes of #6 shot and if intend to do some tundra or ocean hunting for geese 5 boxex of 2-bbb. you will shoot every shell and you will take some stories home. P.S if u get there at the right time(october) and find a good flock(30,000) of waterfowl and they take off, it is like a 747-400 taking off and it is amazing, they fly in a big circle and come back. You will have a great trip if this is the one for you. the dog will love it!

if you would like to contact me ferther please send an E-mail to subaruboy907@hotmail.com thanks