Thread: Where to find berries on Kenai Pen??

Question Where to find berries on Kenai Pen??

I may have missed the season, but not sure. Too short on time to do too much exploring. Can anyone give me a hit as to where I might find some berries to put up for the winter. Preferrably the west side of the Peninsula.

Thanks!

Are you finally in AK? If so, glad to hear it. I thought you were going to be residing in Fairbanks, but apparently I got that wrong. Where did you two end up?

As for berries, what is your preference? If you're looking for blueberries, just climb. Summit Pass is a good option, as it Carter Lake, but really anywhere that you can get above treeline should put you onto some blueberries (and black bears, especially as we get into fall.) If you're interested in salmonberries, you can fill buckets with them in Whittier. It's $10 for the tunnel fee, but it's a nice day trip and you'll come home with loads of berries. There are also copious amounts of crowberries up in the mountains, but they're not a personal favorite of mine. (We also found some small patches of wild raspberries yesterday, but very, very few were ripe.)

Brian,

Where would you go in Whitter for the berries?

Thanks

Default Carter lake

Was up Carter Lake to Crescent Lake this weekend and the blue berry bushes were bare. Well, I found one with berries, but it was bare shortly thereafter.

Saw a few rasberries and a ton of crow berries.

Would love to hear about the salmon berrie patches in Whittier.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Red face forgive my ignorance...

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    Was up Carter Lake to Crescent Lake this weekend and the blue berry bushes were bare. Well, I found one with berries, but it was bare shortly thereafter.

Saw a few rasberries and a ton of crow berries.

Would love to hear about the salmon berrie patches in Whittier.

Will
    Where is Carter Lake? Haven't got an atlas handy and new to the area. Really need to find some berries or I am going to go broke this winter! (Not that there are any there, but I can stear clear of there!)

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Where is Carter Lake?
    Josh - Carter Lake is best accessed by a trail that heads up from the Seward Highway. I can't recall exactly how far, but I seem to remember that it's about 10-15 miles towards Seward after the Y in the road by Tern Lake. It's a short, steep hike up to the lake. There is some decent trout fishing to be had at the lake, and some great hiking/climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Brian,

Where would you go in Whitter for the berries?

Thanks
    I used to go into that area just to the side of the tunnel opening. There is a road to the right after you come through the tunnel. You should be able to find a number of berries right along that road. Last year I found a much better spot, however. Anywhere along the way to Salmon Run should be decent for salmonberries. The best I found, though, was along a trail to a waterfall up above town - can't recall the name off the top of my head. Take the road that leads out past town to Salmon Run (I think that's the name of the cove...or the creek...shoot, my memory is failing me). After a little ways there is a sharp left turn with a trail heading out to the right along with a small turnout. I seem to recall a sign that advertises the falls and a gate across the trail, but again my memory is failing me. It wasn't too hard to find, however, so just look for a trail (road-like at first) heading to the right. There are a few berry plants as you start hiking, increasing rapidly in number as you get further along. We really got into them once we moved through a forested area with no berries. It seemed like more people picked the berries closer to the road and turned back when they hit the woods. Move beyond that section and you'll be in salmonberry heaven.

Here's an awfully silly picture of the wife and I during our salmonberry expedition of '06.

Great shot - exactly what time of year was this shot last year? Right now? Second week of Sept? First of Aug? My wife and I are going to do some prospecting for blues tonight - hopefully we're not too late.

That pic was taken right about now...maybe a week earlier. We went back two weekends ago and did OK, but not as well as last year. A lot of the ripe berries had been picked, and there were a bunch more that hadn't ripened yet. Might be worth another shot after all of this sun.

As for blueberries, you're not too late. Just last weekend we picked a lot of blues, and I also found copious amounts of them while on a bike ride on Tuesday. In fact, there are still some unripe blueberries as well. Good crop this year.

Thanks for the info!

I know everyone has their "spots" so we're trying to prospect now for ours. I grew up commercial fishing in PWS and picking the high bush blues (some call them "huckleberries") but now my curiousity is piqued for the low bush variety. Just married in May, I haven't picked much since I moved out from the parents 6 years ago, so we're going to look up Hiland Dr, Southside of Eklutna Lake, Johnson Pass (south of Turnagain), and other places to see if we can find a bumper crop of the lowbush blues. In the past Girdwood has been fruitful for high bush, but not lately.

Then, in years to come, we'll just go directly to our "spot" rather than searching. Hatcher Pass/Archangel is far to picked over. We'll get some high bush crans up in Eagle, north of Tok, when we go see family and plink at caribou.