Thread: Mulchatna Caribou Herd

Default Mulchatna Caribou Herd

Anyone know where the main Mulchatna caribou herd is located ? Thanks

My question is how to get there. I had wanted to take a trip with Smokey bay air there this winter with a buddy. I called today and spoke to a very abrupt (lets say I will never use that airline) person who said they are not doing the hunt anymore. Does anyone have a recommendation for a same day flyout hunt from Kenai or Homer? Thanks.

Default Mulchatna

Many of the guides have stopped hunting the herd as the numbers are down and the herd has shifted. Better check..

There won't be any same day airborne huts from Kenai or Homer. They closed the Mulchatna herd to same day airborne hunts as of 1 July 2007. The only two GMUs open to same day airborne caribou is 8 and 22. 8 is Kodiak and is open all year, GMU 22 is Seward Peninsula and South Norton Sound and same day airborne is Jan 1 to Apr 15.

Thanks Bill...I just learned that. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    Many of the guides have stopped hunting the herd as the numbers are down and the herd has shifted. Better check..
    Well, yeah, of course. The resources are no longer there so it's time to move on to another herd. It's amazing in a couple of years how a herd can go from 220,000+/- to about 40,000+/- in just a few years.

I'm curious as to where you could find information (scientific if possible) as to what the current numbers of the Mulchatna herd are and what was the cause of the decline. The numbers of all herds seem to fluctuate heavily with winter kill, overgrazing, disease, hunting pressure, etc. But I am curious if anyone knows where you could find that particular information on this herd.

Thanks in advance!

Default Mulchatna Numbers

I've heard in the 110K range-which is down from the high of around 200K. These numbers are always professionally educated guesses at best, esp. given the "absorption" of other local herds, etc. I know when I hunted it last (10 years ago this year) it was estimated at right around 185K, and that was near it's heyday.

Keep in mind that this herd was previously in the 60-80K range in the late 1980's-early 1990's. The explosive growth of it at the time was one for the history books, from F & G's perspective. I do know that the best reported success for the buck the last few years has been hunting out of Bethel with, say, Papa Bear Flight Service. I think you can get 2 NR.

Caribou are

Default management report links

Hunter Tom and others, all of the most current wildlife management reports can be found via the wildlife conservation division website:
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/

They are listed in the "Publications" section, and then under "Management Reports." Here's the latest for the Mulchatna herd:
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/..._sc_sw_int.pdf

Best,