Thread: Thumb Saver

Default Thumb Saver

I have hot grips on both of my Grizzlies which I don't want to remove otherwise I'd be installing these on my machines. This conversion is simple and it makes a motorcycle type of throttle out of your quad rather than a thumb activated throttle. Those of you that have done a lot of long rides know how tired your thumb can get.

http://www.handythrottle.com/order.html

I have actually seen a thumb saver that extended the lever so you could use more of your palm area than all thumb when givin the gas. Real simple design and everything, might be worth a look as you don't have to do anything to your hand warmer grips.

Default Beware of thumb saver device

The "thumb saver" device that extends the length of the thumb lever on 4 wheelers is a very dangerous add-on to purchase. When backing up and turning in reverse gear the lever can be pinned against your thigh and cause the throttle to be held wide open. The quickness with which this happens and the horrible consequences of spinning out of control in reverse gear in rough country is not something to be taken lightly. I know, I bought a "thumb saver" because I was weary of the cold and fatigued thumb I got from long rides in the rain. I went out of control in reverse gear on my first trip out and went backwards off a bluff on a stream embankment. Scared the living crap out of me and hurt. I had no time to correct or react - I was turning around on a narrow old mining road - I turned the handlebars to the right, put the machine in reverse and the extended throttle lever "thumb saver" device brushed my thigh and accelerated the throttle - the momentum of the machine going backwards at high throtlle pinned the lever against my thigh and within seconds I was out of control going over backwards off the bluff. Do not waste your money or your machine or your life on that faulty device. Tommy

There is a new device that has a thumb throttle unit and a twist throttle in the same unit, allowing the rider to switch back and forth. Seems like s decent idea of you have to have a thumb throttle.

Me? I switched all my machines to twists. Much more control in my opinion.

Default dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy SoHappy View Post
    The "thumb saver" device that extends the length of the thumb lever on 4 wheelers is a very dangerous add-on to purchase. When backing up and turning in reverse gear the lever can be pinned against your thigh and cause the throttle to be held wide open. The quickness with which this happens and the horrible consequences of spinning out of control in reverse gear in rough country is not something to be taken lightly. I know, I bought a "thumb saver" because I was weary of the cold and fatigued thumb I got from long rides in the rain. I went out of control in reverse gear on my first trip out and went backwards off a bluff on a stream embankment. Scared the living crap out of me and hurt. I had no time to correct or react - I was turning around on a narrow old mining road - I turned the handlebars to the right, put the machine in reverse and the extended throttle lever "thumb saver" device brushed my thigh and accelerated the throttle - the momentum of the machine going backwards at high throtlle pinned the lever against my thigh and within seconds I was out of control going over backwards off the bluff. Do not waste your money or your machine or your life on that faulty device. Tommy
    Met a person that broke his collar bone because of the thumb saver, and it stuck his throttle open. I'll never get one no matter how tired and cold my thumb gets
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Thumb Saver

I thought that device would for sure get rid of a cramp during a long ride, but sure enough as said befor I was cacking up and pinned the thing. Didn't get hurt thankfully, but it immediately came off the wheeler. Worst 15$ I spent this year.

I don't know that anything that modifies the throttle on a wheeler is a good idea. I can see many reasons or instances why they are designed the way they are. Bouncing through the woods or in rough terrain personally I wouldnt' want to have to worry about not twisting the throttle while I'm trying to hold on. Of course we are humans thus we are lazy and will try to outwit the engineers. Yup I've been guilty of that a time or 2 but I don't see that changing the throttle is in my best interest. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I don't know that anything that modifies the throttle on a wheeler is a good idea. I can see many reasons or instances why they are designed the way they are. Bouncing through the woods or in rough terrain personally I wouldnt' want to have to worry about not twisting the throttle while I'm trying to hold on. Of course we are humans thus we are lazy and will try to outwit the engineers. Yup I've been guilty of that a time or 2 but I don't see that changing the throttle is in my best interest. Just my .02.
    Yup I totally agree. On 4wheelers they suck and are dangerous The twist throttle is worse than the extender. I've used them both, the twist throttle destroyed one of my yamahas. Good thing I'm an expert at diving off my machines

Actually I ride my Grizzlies so much that my thumb has gotten so that it isn't tired very often anymore. I guess it's like any other muscle in your body in that it builds up strength as needed.

Interesting story about the extender causing an accident. I would have never considered that scenario at all. Good to know.

Default took mine off too

i was going over some moderate sized rocks a few weeks ago and the handlebars spun to the right and somehow caused me to pin the throttle wide open. It sent us wildly over the rocks and down a small embankment. Luckily it was only about 5 feet down. So, needless to say...i took it off right there and threw it into the woods.
    Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting

When climbing steep hills, standing up I have had my thigh bump it. Especially if the bars turn to the right a little. It hasn't caused me any major problems yet but I may take it off now. Things can happen quick when you give that 660 a quick burst of throttle.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default will this work

I remembered this snowmachine product while reading these posts...
    http://www.clydecanride.com/

is this a safer alternative that can be made to work???