Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arriving in Anchorage where to get air horn or mace?

Default Arriving in Anchorage where to get air horn or mace?

We're arriving into anchorage on sunday and driving straight up the parks highway to talkeetna. Where would be the easiest and reasonably priced place to pick up these items? I know, I know, best defense is using your head, but just in case......

Talking air horns or mace?

hockey season is over.

good luck with that ... LOL.... maybe bring a cow bell? Id suggest a .357, a .45 cal, or a 12 guage, that should do the job.... air horn hahahha

Default Honey Works

Quote Originally Posted by chinookhead View Post
    We're arriving into anchorage on sunday and driving straight up the parks highway to talkeetna. Where would be the easiest and reasonably priced place to pick up these items? I know, I know, best defense is using your head, but just in case......
    I hear that honey works too...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnwsQaTLUOE

Default in all seriousness

you should probably just invest in some Deep Woods Off. And You're more likely to stumble onto someones "cash crop" than run into Mr. Grizz on the road to TKA

LoL silly hillbillies and their weed

AArgh......it's for when I'm bush-wacking in the creeks north of Talkeetna

Anyone have a serious reply?

I don't think the hill billies are still smoking their weed...they've burned their way through their stash a long time ago and now are smoking rat poisoning or sniffing glue or something.

i would seriously advise the carrying of a sidearm if in bear country, chances are mace or an air horn wont save you from a pissed mama bear after you walked between her and her baby

You can purchase a can of bear spray for under $50 at Sportsman's Warehouse, which is located near the corner of Dimond and Old Seward in South Anchorage.

Enjoy your trip to the Great Land!

WAL-MART would probably have it

Or 6th avenue outfitters downtown. Depends on where you are in Anchorage.
    Sportsmens warehouse. old seward hwy. South side of anchorage far from downtown.
    Walmare, Midtown.
    6th ave. outfitters. Downtown on 6th.

Though I am not sure why you want an air horn I think they are pretty common walmart should have them. Sportsmans warehouse should have what ever you want.
    How many people are you going with?

Are you kidding the hillbillies never run out of weed. they grow it year round. I even saw some growing along side the highway years ago.

Default Dinner Bells

Al you'll have then is Dinner Bells...............

I seem to agree with what everyone is saying....including the running out of weed part. (just doesn't happen.) I would definitely skip the airhorn for sure. IF you're going to get bear spray, buy the good stuff. Don't skimp on that type of thing. I carry a sidearm personally, however, just making noise whenever you walk anywhere should keep you safe. I've fished up streams with fresh, bear-caught salmon at every bend. They don't like to hang around if they know you're coming. I guarantee there will be lots of bears around any somewhat secluded salmon holding stream, but the truth is you probably won't run into any of them if you're making noise.

Actually there was a study where state employees were walking the streams in the fall looking for lake tagged Salmon. Concerned about Bear encounters they would from time to time give a toot on a handheld Air Horn, while doing so they had no Bear encounters.

They actually wanted to see Bear and were disappointed that they had not. After several days they quit with the Airhorn and almost immediately started seeing Bear.

Everybody agrees....in Bear country make lots of noise..........noise, airhorn, noise airhorn.........I think theres a connection

We took two shotguns, a pistol and mace...........and had to chuckle when we passed people on the trail to Crescent Lake, lady hikers, familys and we were the only ones with Firearms.

Good Luck chinookhead, hope you have a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by cubpilot View Post
    you should probably just invest in some Deep Woods Off. And You're more likely to stumble onto someones "cash crop" than run into Mr. Grizz on the road to TKA

Deep woods off is skeeter attractant. Ben's 100% deet

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    good luck with that ... LOL.... maybe bring a cow bell? Id suggest a .357, a .45 cal, or a 12 guage, that should do the job.... air horn hahahha
    I would want something bigger than a .357 or .45 cal, did you mean a 44 magnum, but the 12 guage is best. If your not into carrying guns, pepper spray will work well. I think REI might rent it? You can not legal carry pepper spray in your lugagge on a plane, so buy it up here, any outdoors store will have pepper spray.

Cool Old Sourdough Advice

Quote Originally Posted by irishlord View Post
    I would want something bigger than a .357 or .45 cal, did you mean a 44 magnum, but the 12 guage is best.

When I was new to Alaska (many moons ago) I was told by an old sourdough to file the front sight off of my 44mag. So when the bear shoved it up my ***** it wouldn't hurt too bad!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Actually there was a study where state employees were walking the streams in the fall looking for lake tagged Salmon. Concerned about Bear encounters they would from time to time give a toot on a handheld Air Horn, while doing so they had no Bear encounters.

They actually wanted to see Bear and were disappointed that they had not. After several days they quit with the Airhorn and almost immediately started seeing Bear.

Everybody agrees....in Bear country make lots of noise..........noise, airhorn, noise airhorn.........I think theres a connection

We took two shotguns, a pistol and mace...........and had to chuckle when we passed people on the trail to Crescent Lake, lady hikers, familys and we were the only ones with Firearms.

Good Luck chinookhead, hope you have a good trip.

Um....ok, we agree on making noise. I think it's odd there was a study about it, unless they were studying something else and the horn was just a sidenote. If you're occassionally tooting an airhorn, yes, that's making noise. Sirens make noise too, but I probably don't want to tote one around when I'm trying to fish. It's pretty easy to give a yell, or whistle here and there. In fact, talking loud is really all the noise you need. I'd be chuckling at you too if I saw you on the Crescent lake trail with all that firepower, but we're talking about Chinookhead fishing in a region that I'm giving specific advice for. Pepper spray is an excellent alternative to a sidearm, but if you get it on you or inhale it, and it doesn't stop the bear, you're not just incapacitated, you still have a bear to deal with. The bears in the Talkeetna area, generally, aren't nearly as used to humans and so they tend to bolt as soon as they realize you're near. Unlike the bears down around the Kenai that just keep right on fishing no matter how close you are. That's only my experience though, others may have different ones. I don't mind someone being near me giving an occassional whistle or whatever, but if you start letting loose with an airhorn, you're going to tick off a lot of people that you never had to.

The Study was regarding the Salmon, the airhorn was a result of their initial desire not to encounter Bears, and it worked too well for their liking.

I would agree with talking loudly in some situations, but taking into consieration terrain, weather, foliage, other noise such as the stream your fishing, talking loudly may just facilitate communication between fishing partners.

We fished the Streams in the Talkeetna area and spent two days hiking/fishing the upper Russian. We discussed the Airhorn idea as a couple in our party were concerned about encountering Bear, but ultimately we wanted to see Grizzlys, just safely. We gained Bear experinece on Petes Creek, Quartz Creek and of of couse, the Upper Russian.

We had been talking loudly on the Upper Russian when a Grizzly walked out about 25 feet from where we were fishing. We spend a little bit of time looking at each other and he waded into the river to within about 18 feet. His intentions were obvious as he kept looking into the deep run for Salmon.

He worked his way down the river and crossed just below us. When I came to Alaska, number one on my list of things I wanted to do was stand on a wilderness river with a Grizzly Bear. That two minutes or so are currently the most memorable two minutes of my life.

Fishing with a crowd or even other fisherman is one thing, but if you take the time to get isolated and are truly concnered and don't want to see a Bear, based on my reading, every now and then pull the minature marine airhorn out and give her a toot.

I have seen the Firearm vs Mace debate on this website many times and I chose option "C", both, but by far the most important thing you can bring into the woods is education. Bear Attacks, Causes and Avoidance, Stephen Herrero was a good place to start. Getting input from others outdoorsmen is another good way.

As for the Crescent lake area, they only chuckled for a little while as there was a Gizzly Sow and cub working the 3 mile end of Crescent

I would say move this to the "Expert Forum", but I'm no expert, just one outdoorman sharing information with another.

This was my Bear, I hope he has a long and happy life and I hope to see him again July 22nd 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast