Thread: Boat

Question Boat

Break Out Another Thousand!

Has anybody had dealings with Noah's marine off the end of Dimond? I took the boat in with a banging sound when starting. I had just replaced a cracked coil, which took some figuring. It was during the trying to figure out the hard start that the engine starting making a hell of a clunk while turning over. I assumed there was a connection to the cracked coil, but apparently not.

It is getting pretty expensive.
    Issues:
    1) Cracked sea water riser. Replace both.
    2) Water in the oil. Multiple oil changes...
    3) Starter bolts bent from hydro locking. Starter needs replaced.
    4) Raw water pump under-performing, and needs replaced.

He (Andy) seems to know his stuff. I know a bit about engines, but am still learning some of the marine applications. I ran all this by a buddy that was born on a boat and he agrees the symptoms match the damage. Andy thinks this has been an ongoing problem that finally came to a head. Seems that I am lucky not to have damaged the engine. Connecting rods and pistons can be broken when water gets in a cylinder.

He is either a good salesman or he knows his boats. He does call every time he makes a move and explains the latest disaster to me.

Any of you guys know this shop? We are getting into the thousands, but better here than on the water I guess.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Sounds like he is doing a good job for you. I have never dealt with him but he sounds on the up and up. With a knocking you are lucky you are not getting a new engine. Yes, boats are expensive, I own 3.

I only had one dealing with him and in my opinion he treated me fair and performed the work properly.
    I plan on going back.
    Tennessee

Default Andy from Noah Marine

I have only had one experience with Andy and it was 13 years ago.

My experience was exellent, he was quite young at that time and it has been my experience that bad or unscrupoulous individuals usually don't make it in a small town.

I think Andy is a straight shooter.

Tom

Thumbs up Thanks for the input

I just got back from a long weekend outside and Andy had left another message. Break out another fistful of C-notes.

I do think he knows his stuff. The boat had been serviced in Seward (no names, but it is industrial) and I think they were not doing as thorough a job as Andy. I think when I get it back tonight, it'll be for the better.

Thanks for the info and I guess I'll keep throwing what little money I have left at it.

He also wants me to run the boat and do a hot engine oil change. What is the best oil siphon unit that I can pick up? The last one I bought needed repumped about every quart. My arms got tired.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thumbs up Update on Andy

I picked the boat up and am very happy. His claims that we were "way past" the original estimate were accurate, but only by a few hundred, not thousands, like I was afraid of.

He replaced the 2 raw water risers, the starter, the expansion tank brackets, the raw water pump, all plugs/wires, the rotor/cap, serviced the lower unit, changed the oil and a thorough check out. $2600.

I think that I have found a new wrench for the ol hole in the water. He is full of good information, saved all the old parts for inspection and looks out for my money (which is very dear to me!) His shop is very clean and orderly. He spent a good amount of time helping me to understand the marine applications and causes of my problems. It is his opinion that this problem started before I got the boat. He also gave me a list of things that I can do to keep from paying him more money in the future.

Now, I really don't want all you guys to use Noah Marine. I like how fast he got to my boat and he can't do that if he is too busy.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it