Thread: what jet unit to get

Default what jet unit to get

Im going to replace my old 25' wooldrige when I get my truck paid off next year. Posibly replacing it with a new wooldrige or whatever I decide on. But any take on what would be the better jet to get? Kodiak 3stage or the 212 hamilton? Heard the 3 stage does better in the chop. I go up Taku tiver and some times the inlet and the run to the inlet can get very nasty. About 15 miles of fairly open water coming from 3 directions. Also which is capable of the best top speed/lower rpm in a 22 to 25 foot boat? I also like how simple the kodiak is to tear town and put back together. Altough it is spendy to rebuild around 2500 bucks.

The 212 will do fine in the chop. The big issue is sticks. The 3 stage will handle sticks better than the 212. I have a 212 and run at 3.4 impeller on the 350 PFI. It will move a load and runs at a slightly lower RPM resulting in good fuel economy 7.5 gph at 2900rpm 28.6 on GPS. The Hamilton is very easy to tear apart. The question of parts is more the issue as there just are not places to service the hamilton up here. If you have any mechanical nature parts are easy to come by out of Washington state. If you have White Water aspirations the 212 with turbo impeller is the only way to go. Checkout Riverjet Magazine forum for the skinny on jet drives.

I not sure what Stratofisher is saying about sticks.....I do know that what ever goes thru my grate goes out the nozzle of my 212.

My 2 cents would be if running rivers to go with the single stage Hamilton. Like I said above, if it goes thru the grate it goes out the nozzle. With a multistage you do have a chance to lodge debris between the stages requiring a tear down to fix. The Hamilton has an inspection cover that is removable to do some things if needed in and around the impeller, while still in the water.

I posted this in another post here about adding trim tabs. For your situation of running salt I would put them high on the list of things to do for a better rough water ride.

What ever boat or pump you decide to get, some must have equipment would be a sand trap (PLUMBED OVER BOARD!!!!!!not in the bilge like some boats that I have seen here lately. Don't get me started on this one) and a Stomp Grate (to get those sticks unstuck or easily get the fall leaves out of your grate).

I owned multistage pumps and they have their place(high performance). I just don't believe river running is one of them.

I have a '97 21' North River with a modified 454 and a Hamilton 212. Top speed with my Turbo Fine Impeller (2.5) is ~55 mph. I am turning it a little over max rpm's.

If ever interested in a ride let me know.....silvers are running>>>>

I would suggest you join this forum and present your question to the members there. These guys are very informative:
    http://www.riverjetmagazine.com/fuse...VIEWTMP=Linear
    Tennessee