Thread: No crowd shore fishing?

Default No crowd shore fishing?

I need a place I can take my wife for silvers from shore, within about 45 minutes of Palmer. Just want to get out a couple times before I deploy next week. We tried Willow and she didn't care much for all the jackarses intentionally yanking fish in by their tails, and being ignorant. I go out to Jim Creek myself...but that's even a higher level of unethical and jackastic behavior, and I want her to enjoy fishing. I know places farther north along the Parks to get away from crowds, but we need to keep it close, so we can go after work, fish for a couple hours and get home at a reasonable hour.

This weekend, we'll probably get the boat back out for one more trip before I'm gone to Iraq.

I don't fish it but sheep creek is supposed to be very nice. Skinny water and often ignored I hear it has some silvers. Or try going to Montana, and walking down the su until you find a decent spot. Won't be many or maybe any people within 15 minutes of the confluence.

If you don't mind a little bit more of a drive I can tell you of an awesome spot in Portage creek past girdwood. pm me if interested.

Talking Akbrownsfan

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh!!

Yeah, I know about Montana, Sheep, Goose, Caswell, Rabideaux, etc. and some more "secret" spots up that way. They are a little further than I want to go on a work night, though.

Does Little Willow get silvers? If so, would they be up to the bridge yet? How 'bout the Little Su bridge...not sure if they'd have come that far yet...and they might not be as fresh by then.

Quote Originally Posted by cubpilot View Post
    Ssssshhhhhhhhhh!!
    I know...this is the way "secret" holes turn into Jim Creek. There are quite a few good places just about a half hour or so farther than I want to go....

I would bet that very few silvers have reached the Parks hwy yet on either the Little Willow or the Little Su. They most definitely will be heavily blushed by the time they get there too. Your best bet will probably be close to the mouth on Jim Creek. The crowd really thins out the further down you get and there are still fish to be had.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'm not telling where I go sorry (walk, people are lazy)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'm not telling where I go sorry (walk, people are lazy)
    Or pressed for time, as the original poster admitted to upfront. AKPM, what does this type of post offer the guy that asked the question?
    Anyway, what some don't realize, there is also Ship Creek in Anchorage, and the mouth of Peters Creek in Birchwood. Go down N. Birchwood Loop, and find the trail leading to the creek, at the north end of Birchwood Airport, before you take the ninty degree turn along the side of the airport leading to the rifle range. It is best fished at high slack tide. And, seeing that you are military, have you checked out Six Mile Creek On Elmenforf? Call the Mil Fish and Game about that one, they will fill you in on it and how to get to it. Good Luck.

Default Six Mile Creek

Is better left to folks studying for a sociology degree. Seriously, there will be anywhere from 20-40 folks whipping the 6ft wide creek mouth out into the knik arm. They do catch reds, pinks and very few silvers but it's definately combat fishing.

Peter's CK is a nice peaceful spot that few folks know about or fish. While it's not gangbusters (at least when i've went there) there are silvers and it's a nice experience for you and the wife before you head out to the sandbox.

You might even consider going after trout on one of the lakes instead. Float tubes are awesome with this weather.

Stay safe over there brutha! Beers on me when ya get back.
    Last edited by sal; 08-08-2007 at 23:44. Reason: typos

I know Six-mile Creek, and it's just as far as Sheep and points north, plus its a tiny trickle through sloppy mud with more people than silvers...no desire to chase pinks (I'm turning into a dang snob, ain't I?)

Mebbe we'll just do the scenic drives and berry pickin on weeknights til I go, so she can send me jelly whilst I'm gone. And we'll fish this weekend, when we got time to go a little further.

I'm gonna explore a couple places today that folks PMd me abou.

Thanks!

You don't have to give up. If push comes you can get away from combat fishing at the trail races just by walking up stream away from the mouth. Last time I was there there were silvers and no one within sight of where I was fishing. Fishing wasn't great but it was ok.

Default My Creek Trailhead

Try the Little Su. If you want to get away from the crowds there is a trailhead to My Creek Campground just inside the fee area at Burma Landing. It is about a 2 mile walk (easy walking) back to the river. The fishing is usually good for silvers and you have at least 100 yds of good fishing area, might have to share with a dozen other anglers. Bait is open so I would suggest bringing some with you. This used to be my favorite spot to fish silvers before I got a boat. Don't forget the bug spray and the side arm.
    Lady

Default Little Su

We fish the Little Su, by boat, but it takes too long to get there to make it an after work trip. We'll probably be down there Sat or Sunday though.